Why Are Customers SO Loyal To Other Carpet Cleaners?

Discussion in 'Sales Mastery' started by ratherbewalking, Jul 22, 2014.

1. ratherbewalking

ratherbewalking Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I have recently been out trying to pick up some new accounts (commercial mostly). Everybody "Has a guy" already, and they don't seem to want to give me a shot no matter what I say. I feel like when I approach them they shut down and don't really want to hear what I have to say.

How do you overcome this without sounding desperate?

2. Decker01

Decker01 Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I cant tell you. I've not done enough of it (about a dozen doors). I do need to get out and sell some commercial work right now. I hope we can get some discussion of it here.

I know its a numbers game. The more at bats, the more hits. But if you're a .225 hitter... there's work to be done.

3. Scott Warrington

Scott Warrington FatCat Entrepreneur

I got tired of hearing that answer. Once, at a furniture store that had obviously not been cleaned in a long time, my reply was, "I'm sorry to tell you but your guy must have passed away some time ago."

4. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    May be a n excuse a lot of times and not a real answer.

Keep swinging.

Also, maybe ask "what's your biggest headache or problems with floor maintenance" and then try to find solutions to those. They may assume you'll be exactly the same as the last guy.

Leave behind something easy to call back at in the future for when they may need you. You may be planting seeds that don't get watered for months.

Scott Warrington likes this.
  5. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    That's just a quick auto-response for them to get rid of you. Think about when someone tries to cold sell you. You won't even give them a nanosecond to listen to what they have to say. Same thing is happening here.

The only way around it is fearless persistence or maybe something to condition them to your call/visit. Maybe you could mail a postcard or letter with before and after pictures of commercial jobs you've done, explaining that you'll be calling in exactly 5 days or something.

6. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen FatCat Entrepreneur

I wish I could paste in both Ross and Torrey's answers. So true.

Think about it. You walk into a retail store and the sales person asks, "May I help you?" Your "auto-response"? "No, I'm just looking." So don't take it personally. I tell every SFS class: "The two main emotions in business purchasing today are apathy and inertia."

Ross, your idea of mailing a post card is good. But let me update and personalize it a bit with this "show and tell" QuickTIP on how to "break through" in a big commercial complex with a busy (and overwhelmed) Facility Manager.

Steve

PS
    Michael, the best "quick and dirty" step-by-step review of how to get a commercial sales program going is HERE in my "How to Sell Commercial Carpet Cleaning" manual. It is a free download or just write me at stevet@jondon.com and I'll email you a copy- no charge!

TheEyeball likes this.
  7. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

Just tell them "Actually it was "your guy" that sent me...said something about tired of working for the cheap ass...or something like that...anyway would love to earn your business!"

8. Joseph Rogers

Joseph Rogers Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Networking.

Seriously, I'm a little surprised. How many times have you guys talked about how people do business with people they know/trust? You've got to establish that trust, and the only way to do that is by getting to know people.

9. Lars

Lars FatCat Member

You also need to make sure your spending your effort to the right person in charge of this

10. Diederik

Diederik FatCat Member

Name:
    Diederik Visser
    It is funny I did work for a guy this morning that had a guy and then he used us because he got our marketing email and he phoned us. Sometimes just timing and persistence.

11. oldcarpetvet

oldcarpetvet FatCat Member

The very FIRST thing you need to know about cold calling is this.....You need to know where "YES" lives.
    Do you know where "YES" lives?
    It lives in the land of NO. Understand?

In other words, you have to expect NO for an answer because that is what you are going to get....Most of the time. Steve is right....it's an auto-response. And Joe Rogers is correct also. Building trust is the foundation of building long lasting relationships. And Lars nails it because if you're not talking to the right person, you're just talking.

Okay....Back to the cold call. Now.....Let's say for example you get one yes for every 100 no. That's really not a bad percentage at all when you think about it. Direct mail marketing should be that good. You need to be persistent and patient. Rome wasn't built in a day and as far as I know, neither was any carpet cleaning business. Let the negative responses roll off your shoulder and move on to the next. It's the only way. Dwelling on rejection is never going to help you. Some of the greatest business minds failed in several businesses before they "Made It" so in the scheme of things, going door to door, cold calling is a walk in the park. If you believe in yourself, ANYTHING is possible.

Hope this helps.

Ryan Kettering and Joseph Rogers like this.
  12. Ryan Kettering

Ryan Kettering FatCat Member

Also study selling. I have been slapped in the face with my lack of sales knowledge recently. We sat in a classroom for 8 hours a day for over a decade learning almost nothing other than how to socially interact. How many hours and days have you put into seriously studying sales, selling, and closing the deal?

13. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    Back in the 90's my father had a lot of success doing the door to door thing......landed some contracts that we still have to this day. Although we do not do any door to door stuff anymore...I am 99% sure we would be told "we already have someone" or "will add you to the vendor list..thanks".

I am strongly against high pressure sales tactics. We have had MUCH better success by sending out a postcard or an email just simply stating who we are...what we are about and that we are here if they should ever need our services. With every email we send before and after photos or a link to a video and offer to clean 1 property absolutely free. I am not saying we have landed every place we email....but I confident we get more work by doing this...then showing up unexpected. UNLESS you are doing some donut marketing...this might work out better for you.

I just feel if a real estate agent, property manager or dude that owns 20 properties gets an email with your company offering to provide a professional service...with pictures showcasing your quality of work and link that says "See What Others Have to Say About Us".. might get you better results than door to door. Just my opinion of course...but the email might not get you the work right then but what if they save the email? If you go door to door and you get told "we have someone" that's it...even if you give them a card its probably going to get put in the trash.

I had a lady call our office 2 months ago that I emailed over a YEAR ago offering our services. Ended up getting a college apartment dorm contract. Would we have gotten that call if we just showed up a year ago offering our services? Probably not. By no means am I saying don't do door to door...but I am saying don't just do door to door.