Who here at FC does Water Damage? Why and what do you want to learn?

Discussion in 'Water Damage/Fire Restoration' started by aspenedelen, Mar 16, 2014.

1. aspenedelen

aspenedelen FatCat Player

Pretty easy easy couple of questions.

1. Why are you in water damage?
    A. I saw a need and I ran with it. I started off with one one dehu and three air movers. I now have 24 dehus and 90 air movers for a town of 8000 population.
    2. What do you want to learn from WDR posts?
    A. How not to to get myself into trouble but to dry the wet structure faster back to the dry standard faster than my competition.

Anyone else?

2. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    1. The company I used to work for did water restoration. At the time they were servicing over 100 apartment complexes in and around Indianapolis, so we were constantly drying up after water heaters, burst pipes, overflowed toilets, sprinkler systems, etc. After a while they sent us to IICRC classes to get certified. I did hundreds of restoration jobs in apartments and residential.

2. If there's an opportunity for me to pursue WDR. There's more competition in WDR than cleaning now. It seems there are new companies popping up every day, and the older established companies have a stranglehold on the market. So I'd like to know if someone in my situation should bother pursuing WDR further.

3. aspenedelen

Eye, most definitely you SHOULD be aggressively pursuing WDR at the to your existing clients. How much money are you potentially leaving on the table, $25k or more?

4. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    I've thought about that and I really don't know. I always trick myself into thinking "What are the odds any of my customers will have a flood this year? Probably pretty low." Then I talk myself out of pursuing it.

5. aspenedelen

If it seems worthwhile to you and you can make a lot of money with your preexisting clients and gave the time then yes, do it. If you don't have the time or resources then sub out work when your clients call

6. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen FatCat Entrepreneur

Pretty easy easy couple of questions.
    1. Why were you in water damage?

A. In the beginning it was just to keep our (few) employees busy year ound as residential work slowed to a trickle in the winter months. It was only later we learned about the incredible potential profits.

2. What should someone want to learn from WDR posts?
    A. How to actually get the work? How to move outside of the feeding frenzy over a) adjusters and b) plumbers? (there is so much more out there.) What equipment to buy and the training to get to slowly edge into the field?

Good idea for a thread, Anthony. I hope your family is well.

Steve

PS Above all else the biggest problem I see in disaster restoration is people focus on the technical/equipment side and ignore the "Emotional Dynamics" of the loss. So I came up HERE with a free e-manual on "How to be Successful in Restoration".

7. aspenedelen

Great answer and this is something I will talk about indepth.

More answers please

8. Jay

Jay FatCat Member

I think getting into WDR is the next comfort zone of me and I just need to take that next step. I did a lot of training for CC and business development prior to getting into CC, but none in WDR, so I don't have much of a experience. I have tried with little success to get ride alongs.

Which sucks because in my business networking group the insurance and building guys have so much work lined up for me I know I am missing out on lots of money and work.

So my main concern is learning the insurance dance right now. I understand the process of WDR, but not the billing side.

9. Spotman123

Spotman123 FatCat Member

Anthony, it is hard for a 1 man show to compete with larger companies. When you get a call, you got to have good response times, which can be if you mainly do carpet and uph cleaning. IMO if you really want to try to succeed in WDR you need 1)knowledge(education), 2)equipment , 3)manpower and last- customers!.

10. aspenedelen

Jay, you and I need to have a conversation. Call me at 605-624-2485

11. Martin Sanchez

Martin Sanchez Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Thank you for your quick response to my phone call Tony. I'm writing an e-mail to the PM right now will see what they say.
    I was about to walk out of this job.

12. Jay

Jay FatCat Member

I'm sorry anything I just saw this now, can is call you tomorrow?

13. aspenedelen

No problem Jay, call me tomorrow

14. Carpet-Rx of Louisville

Carpet-Rx of Louisville Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

1. Why am I in Water Damage?
    A: Money...Lots and lots of it!!!

2. What do I want to learn from WDR posts?
    A: I do mostly residential homes. I can do WDR all day and in my sleep.
    What I want to learn from WDR posts is how do I get these insurance companies to tell their customers to call ME???

Louisville and Indiana were flooded with WDR this past winter. I got 2 jobs from frozen and burst pipes but my competitors had hundreds. They made hundreds of thousands of dollars from this. Granted, Ive only got 4 air movers and 1 dehu, so I couldn't handle that many anyway, but I would have liked to have received a few more calls.

15. Jay

Jay FatCat Member

I sent you a text.

I hit a pot hole over the weekend that dented my rim and busted my headlight, I am sitting here waiting for it all to get fixed. Call me up until 4 PM EST.

215-791-0831