What do you do with your unsubscribers?

Discussion in 'Email Marketing' started by Torrey W, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I've just realized something. I have my CRM software that keeps all emails in its database and then I put them all into my constant contact email database.

As I email people and get some unsubscribers, they may get put back on the list next year when I sync the database again..

Issues with that?

I guess some may not care for it, but at least they won't be getting the monthly emails and only have to unsubscribe once a year.

Biggest concern is just not creating a negative moment of truth.

2. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

I don't know that people will even realize what happened based on the amount of crap we get inundated with via email...however I'm pretty sure it's against the "law" to put people back on a list they unsubscribed from...don't know that for a fact though....maybe there is a time limit

3. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I wouldn't advocate just slapping people back on the list for sure.

I'm just curious if it will become a issue that if I sync my contacts and their info bounces back on once a year..

I'd have to guess that there's bigger fish to fry as far as the law goes, but if I had someone call or email me asking to be permanently removed, I'd just delete their email in all data bases.

4. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

It is against the CAN-SPAM Act.

1. Tell recipients how to opt out of receiving future email from you. Your message must include a clear and conspicuous explanation of how the recipient can opt out of getting email from you in the future. Craft the notice in a way that’s easy for an ordinary person to recognize, read, and understand. Creative use of type size, color, and location can improve clarity. Give a return email address or another easy Internet-based way to allow people to communicate their choice to you. You may create a menu to allow a recipient to opt out of certain types of messages, but you must include the option to stop all commercial messages from you. Make sure your spam filter doesn’t block these opt-out requests.
    2. Honor opt-out requests promptly. Any opt-out mechanism you offer must be able to process opt-out requests for at least 30 days after you send your message. You must honor a recipient’s opt-out request within 10 business days. You can’t charge a fee, require the recipient to give you any personally identifying information beyond an email address, or make the recipient take any step other than sending a reply email or visiting a single page on an Internet website as a condition for honoring an opt-out request. Once people have told you they don’t want to receive more messages from you, you can’t sell or transfer their email addresses, even in the form of a mailing list. The only exception is that you may transfer the addresses to a company you’ve hired to help you comply with the CAN-SPAM Act

5. Decker01

Decker01 Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I thnk is SM you can mark them do not mail.

I just had a thank you card come back refused in US mail. Weird, but yeah... Try not to mail them again.

6. Martin Sanchez

Martin Sanchez Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

No worries using constant contact you will not be able to include them in your list again. they will have to do it. constant contact is set up that way. You can still send snail mail to them every once in a while. Some people will not want to get tons of e-mails but they will feel comfortable receiving a card once in a while. some others will not want to know about you and even reject the card like with Decker.

7. Decker01

Decker01 Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer