Tile and Grout Cleaning..Best equipment?

Discussion in 'Tile, Stone, & Grout Care' started by Bicc, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    So after 28 years of my father being in business....I have convinced him to branch off into tile and grout cleaning. After myself and techs get IICRC certified I plan on investing in equipment. I was hoping to get some opinions on equipment, cleaning solutions, cleaning attachments and anything else that you think will be a necessity when first starting out. I plan on knocking out family and friends the first month at no charge to gain a bit of experience as well as confidence. I know on the commercial side of things...this can be a huge boost in profits. So lay it on me....hopefully this thread can help someone else that may also be venturing into tile and grout cleaning...or has thought about it but did not know where to start like myself. Thanks in advance!

Windy City Steam and Torrey W like this.
  2. Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas FatCat Player

there's no money in tile & grout cleaning...waste of time.

On a serious note, the turbo hybrid tools are in my opinion worth the little extra. I'd suggest the turbo hybrid, mini turbo, to start, and a corner/edging tool.

Chems. Alkalines, 2790, High Test, TileMaster all work great.

Acids: Homerun, Lowtest, Viper Renew (acids are all going to be $30-45 gallon)

Also probably worth it to fly to Seattle and hop on a ferry to buy me some beers and I'll teach you how to ColorSeal and sell it like no ones business.

3. Scott Warrington

Scott Warrington FatCat Entrepreneur

I would stick with basic tools until you learn from jobs some other tools that might suit your situation. SX-15 is a great spinner tool. Gekko tools allow many attachments on one wand head. Get what you need as you need it.
    SX-15 head for Gekko wand - http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AR51S
    Gekko wand and other attachments including the corner and edge tool - http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?search_val=Gekko

Tile master or Viper Venom Powder with Citrus Solv as your alkaline cleaner.
    http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CR23A

Viper Renew as your acid cleaner. http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CH49GL

There are a few specialty products that you can get later. Learn the basics first. Color seal is a great income opportunity as Mike says above. If you are not inclined to fly to Seattle, you can get a lot of instruction on-line at www.colorsealpro.com

4. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    Shameless plugs lol. Sounds good I appreciate it!

Windy City Steam likes this.
  5. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    Also I am really digging the wand! Seems like a really smooth transition from using a carpet cleaning wand to this. One of our techs has been with us for 14 years now and never cleaned tile professionally...so this seems like a great set up to start with. Once I have everyone certified...I will be in touch!

6. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    I hate giving away work for free unless there is a reason behind it...but has anyone else done this when first starting a new service? Offered your new service to a commercial account for free? Figured this would be away to showcase another service we will be offering...get in the door with even more property managers. Give our company a chance to gain experience and confidence without me worrying about screwing something up. I guess I look at it like...dental assistants offering the free cleanings when in school...or a hair stylist offering free haircuts while in school. What do you think? I understand that cost that I will be stuck with, chemicals, labor, etc. To me it would be worth it to offer this for a solid month.

7. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Yes, and to great effect. And if you really feel gutsy during your free demo, make one big clean spot right in the middle of the dirtiest, most visible area. Then they'll HAVE to get the rest cleaned!

Windy City Steam and Bicc like this.
  8. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    I like it!

9. Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas FatCat Player

Just because you're doing it for free doesn't mean you shouldn't be worried about screwing something up :) I highly doubt you'd screw something up though...which is why I do not think it's a good idea to offer tile cleaning for free.

Key word "while in school". But you are not in school, you're going to be going to school to get certified, there's your school right there.

Unless you jack up base boards, blast out grout, or etch/scratch a calcium based stone (marble, travertine, limestone) you don't have much to worry about. Ceramic and Porcelain is pretty easy to clean...I honestly would save my money sending guys to get certified and fly to Seattle to buy me beeeers. I don't have a fog in the dight though.

10. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    Well I caved in and bought most of what you mentioned here. Thanks to you and Eyeball for helping me out. Oh...and I dropped like $2800 buying this along w/ some other things so you guys at Interlink Supply better at least send me a snickers bar or a bag of Doritos! I love chips..

11. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I can't believe you guys haven't offered tile cleaning. It's usually easier than carpet cleaning!

If you want my personal thoughts on Chems shoot me a text or private message.

But you can get great products as Scott mentioned through his links.

I like the TurboHybrid as my favorite tile tool and the Gekko wand for smaller areas plus the detachable heads for stuff.

12. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Only thing you gotta do is watch for natural stones. Use alkaline cleaners on those and just learn how to identify them.
    The acid drip test is a easy one. In a inconspicuous spot of course..

13. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

Nice. Sounds like @Scott Warrington needs to sponsor FatCat!

14. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    Question....am I going to need to upgrade our pump?

We are running the Cat 290 Pump. Rated at 100-1200 psi.

4201.png

15. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Most likely no. Tile cleaning doesnt require extreme pressure all the time. It helps but ive cleaned with 500 psi.

Chemical
    Agitation
    Water flow/pressure
    Heat

those are the components to cleaning. lesssen or loose one, increase the other.

One time my tm threw a belt on the last 100 sqft of a bar and it was opening in a couple hours. so i put down the cleaner double strength, scrubbed the grout joints like crazy! then just mopped it all up. couldnt tell the difference from it and the areas i used the truckmount.
    granted it would have taken a week to do the whole thing that way, but you get the point..

16. Scott Warrington

Scott Warrington FatCat Entrepreneur

You will find the best result for most jobs in the 800 to 1000 PSI range. You should be OK with your current pump.

17. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    Got the goodies in today and had a successful first tile and grout job (my kitchen). Just wanted to say thanks to @TheEyeball @Torrey W @Scott Warrington for helping me out. Also, I consider myself a clean person but was blown away after my tile and grout was cleaned. So far I am impressed w/ the viper venom powder w/ citrus. Will post pictures later if I get a chance.

18. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    Here is the photos I took today of the SX-15 in action. I know David our head tech might be lurking on here so thanks Dave! Great job. Again thanks to all of you for the advice.

20150519_163525.jpg

PART_1432082640925_Screenshot_2015-05-19-20-42-31.jpg

PART_1432082113473_20150519_190428.jpg

20150519_211230.jpg

20150519_201342.jpg

19. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Nice! Fun, isn't it?

20. Bicc

Bicc FatCat Entrepreneur

Name:
    Allen Mckinney
    Yeah and very easy. I was done w/ my kitchen in about 45 minutes. 15 of those minutes being dwell time w/ the viper venom. Do you guys just mist it on or are you soaking it? I concentrated on the grout lines.