The CRUCIAL first 15 Minutes - DON'T BLOW IT!

Discussion in 'Sales Mastery' started by Kipp, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

I believe the first 15 minutes you spend with the customer is the most important part of the job. It's where you have the opportunity to establish your first impression, build rapport, consult the customer on services needed, build value in your service and in the end generate the biggest ticket possible.

I like to show up to the door in my uniform, clean, and groomed. I carry 2-3 uniforms on me each day so I can change out and not look and smell sweaty. I go the door with my clipboard and corner guards in hand. I always time the customer answering the door with me putting foot booties on...this gives a great first impression. As I walk the house with the customer I place the corner guards, they always are impressed by this. This initial display of professionism really makes an impact on the customer and makes my job easier when suggesting additional services.

I walk each room and note any damage, specialty stains, pet issues, etc. With any stains I always ask them what it is, typically they do not know. I tell them we will spot it and hopefully we can get it to come out with a standard service if not we can try more stain removal techinques if they want at an additional fee. This works well for me because I think alot of people just expect everything to clean with just steam cleaning. I also think they appreciate that I will first try to get it out with my standard service and not just charge them up front.

Once they agree on the services they would like performed I always make sure they understand what the expected results will be. I have them sign my work order agreeing to the price, services, and my release of liability. This ensures there won't be any question at the end of the job and protects me from any issues (hidden carpet seams that are loose, loose carpet edges, etc.)

Also if I recommended any pet treatments that they declined I have them also sign off that I am not responsible for any post odors remaining in the home (I would say 50% go ahead with the services once ask to sign off)

One other note on the initial walk through, I always try to identify the "story" behind why they are having the cleaning service. Are they home owners, renters, landlord? Are they moving in, moving out? How long have they lived there, how long to they plan on staying? The answers to these questions determine how I pitch my services to the customer.

What are some things you guys do to make a great first impression?

2. Marlin

Marlin FatCat Member

First impressions are important. I know that I'm already judging my service when I see the cable guy pull up in the van just by how he walks and looks.

I Like the sign off idea if they don't buy a pet treatment. Very nice.

3. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Yeah I'm gonna go on ahead and steal this idea.

I noticed you asked what we do to make a first impression and since I prefer to talk about myself anyway, I will oblige.

First, I never park on the driveway unless there's literally no other choice. I try to park the truck where they will see it when they open the front door, and it must be immaculate, by the way. Usually they'll say some self-important thing like "Well! Uh! You could have parked on the driveway!" And then I say "Ma'am I would never do that without asking permission first. When we come to your house, you call the shots." Overly-smooth Botoxed housewife face, meet egg.

Next, before I knock on the door, I roll out a custom 3x5 rug with my logo on it. The logo faces them and I take my shoes off, revealing my crisp white socks. Every 4 to 6 months I buy all new socks and throw away the old ones for this very reason. Then I KNOCK on the door. I never, ever ring doorbells. Again, you'll get some self-important protest like "Uh! There's a doorbell right there!" And I say "Yes I noticed that, but this time of day I always worry about a little one taking a nap inside. I'd hate to interrupt nap time." Botox Face can't help but think "OMG...this guy is considerate beyond my wildest dreams!" Yeah, score another one for me. Between the doorbell thing and custom rug, they are already floored. Remember, most service people who show up look like this:

homeless-guy.jpg
    Once inside I listen and don't talk much at first. It sounds lame but I learned from Steve Toburen to make "concerned sounds". Then Botox Face knows you're actually listening and not daydreaming about watching Iron Man 3 when you get home, and it allows her to do what she really, REALLY wants to do, which is blather on and on and on, giving you and exact play-by-play of her life from the moment she was conceived up until the precise mark in time when her dog shat on the rug. Oh yeah, I also have a professionally made name tag with my picture on it. Like Uncle Rico says, "We gotta look legit, man!"​
    Much like $1k I ask about stains, and I ask other viewpoint questions to make them think I care, even though I really just want to go home and watch Iron Man 3. After Botox Face has said her piece then I bust out about 3 minutes worth of "game plan" on them and I don't hold back on vocabulary. I'm not joking, I think all of us need to be adding vocabulary and using what we learn at all times. It makes a big impression in a situation like this. At a keg party, not so much, but if you pull it off right you become a secret alpha male in your customer's subconscious mind.​
    Crap I'm gonna stop here. I told myself this would be a short comment. Blew it already. Suffice it to say I'm a total freakin' rock star.​

Todd The Cleaner likes this.
  4. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

Brilliant!