Structural Drying using heat

Discussion in 'Water Damage/Fire Restoration' started by aspenedelen, Dec 10, 2013.

1. aspenedelen

aspenedelen FatCat Player

Who here uses heat when Structural Drying?

I for one use heat all the time. I am using a E-Tes on a loss right now.image.jpg

Who here wants to learn why heat can be critical in drying out most residential losses?

2. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

I would love to hear about this and exactly how Those E- TES units work.

3. aspenedelen

How E-Tes works is pretty simple. Water comes in three forms: liquid, solid and vapor. When you come to a loss and do a cruddy extracting moisture from the carpet and pad your losses take exponentially longer to dry. If you extract as much water as possible using one or a combo of methods your losses dry faster. If you add heat into the mix of LGR dehus you are changing the vapor pressure differential of the water at the surface and the vapor pressure of the air at the surface. Vapor pressure wants to equalize and what heat does is allows the vapor pressure at waters surface to increase which dramatically increases the bound moisture evaporation potential.

In a nutshell heat allows the vapor pressure of of the bound moisture to increase while lowering the vapor pressure of the air (air movers) which dramatically increases evaporation of the bound moisture.

Kipp likes this.
  4. aspenedelen

Most residential losses take seven days or longer to dry. Using heat you can dry that same loss in, on average in three to four days if caught right away.

The above loss I am working on is a critical hair salon that is losing hundreds of dollars every day because the gentleman us not working. It is my job to get the dual layered fire resistant drywall back the dry standard as fast as possible so this business can get back to business.

Johnny Bravo and 212.0 like this.
  5. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I think I read A lot about this with the REETS systems.

Anthony would you ever think that some contractors wouldn't want to speed up the process due to making more money by prolonging the process?

Or are you able to charge more per day by introducing the heat?

6. aspenedelen

We are in business to make a FAIR and HONEST profit not take advantage of clients. On that note, charging for a extra day or two happens all the time. When using a E-Tes I can chage a additional $250 per day for the box and $24.95 a day for the air mover. Adjusters know if a loss a extraordinary amount time you'd better have some great documenting going on or else you WILL NOT be paid as overcharging in this indusrty is rampant.

Kipp likes this.
  7. Scott Warrington

Scott Warrington FatCat Entrepreneur

Here is another explanation of how TES or E-TES works. It requires energy to change liquid water to water vapor. E-TES provides this energy in the form of heat. The key is not just heating the air in the room (which could work against you) but to heat the water. The E-TES uses the Reets Drying System to direct the heat to water causing it to evaporate (turn to vapor) faster. Then the humid air is either exhausted or dehumidified or a combination of both.

The rental of TES or E-TES equipment usually results in charges similar to renting other drying equipment for a greater number of days. It can save the insurance company money because less tear out, demolition, remove & replace is needed when the project dries faster. It also saves a business money by getting them back to work faster, so everyone wins.

Torrey W and aspenedelen like this.
  8. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Exactly what I was wondering then.

There's plenty of money in the jobs to play fair, or atleast when I've done small losses.

I'd love to use a ETES system.

9. Scott Warrington

When not doing water losses, the E-TES is also a great way to dry rugs. I am pretty sure I can arrange for you to get an E-TES or two.

10. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Did you say rugs!?....

I was just thinking about this myself the other day. In all ears!

11. Scott Warrington

We dried some rugs with E-TES at our last hands-On rug class. The next class will be in Nashville March 13th & 14th. Students will dry rugs with centrifuge, E-TES, drying rack, float table and such. You should come on down.

12. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I would love that Scott. Great area to visit anyways, thank you for the invite. Count me in.

Got any more details in the two days?

13. Scott Warrington

Information will be posted on-line next week. Here are the basics.
    Doug Heiferman and I will teach the class. All day Thursday March 13th including evening class and Friday from 8 AM until 5 PM. Over 50% of the class will be hands-on. There will be a session on marketing and one on rug ID, but the focus will be on cleaning methods. We will dry clean, extract, pit wash and use some other methods with instructions cleaning first and then students cleaning rugs under the instructors guidance.

We will cover some expensive rugs, but will also show students how to analyze their own markets and learn the kinds of rugs that are in their area.

Special deals on products and equipment for those who attend.

Dusty Roberts of Rug Badger has said he will be there to show centrifuge and rug drying racks along with his Badger. Several other rug experts are being invite but we are not sure who will be able to join us.

The class is $349 for the 1st student and $299 for additional students from the same company. Class size is limited to 24 students so that each student gets time for personal instruction and time to clean rugs. We expect to sell out the seats early just as we did with the Salt Lake City class. We already have 3 signed up and have not even started advertising the class.

Snacks, breakfast and lunch included. We are working on some hotel deals but they are not finalized.

Contact Nicole at 800 660-5803 extension 150.

0331grunt likes this.
  14. Scott Warrington

Here are further details on what we will be covering in the class from my instructors outline:
    Our philosophy in formulating chemicals for wool;
    Basics of rug construction, knot making, single weft / double weft, flat weaves, machine made compared to hand-knotted and gunned rugs; rugs for students to tear apart and exam how they are made
    7 Categories of rugs how to clean each type, which will you find in your market? Students will examine about 30 rugs and decide what type each one is and how it could be cleaned
    Bridgepoint wool chemical line, what each product is used for
    How to Build Your own Rug Pit
    Cleaning Stinkers -
    Hands on led by Doug H; several urine contaminated rugs to be cleaned by students under direction of Doug with help from Scott; includes wool, cotton and olefin fibers contaminated with urine. How is each different?
    Testing for Bleeding
    Cleaning bleeders
    bleeding from urine contamination, bleeding for other reasons; use of Dye Loc, Wool Medic, acetic acid and other bleeding treatments; Students cleaning in pit
    Cleaning with Encapsulation - students
    Cleaning with Brush Pro - students
    Cleaning with HWE - students
    Cleaning in a pit / wash floor - students Types of agitation including Brush Pro, floor machine, using roller to work cleaning products into the pile and foundation
    Add-on sales of protectors, moth treatment, padding, repairs, cleaning wood floors under the rugs
    Build a drying and blocking table
    Drying equipment and methods, centrifuge; E-TES, drying table, hanging, drying flat; use of dehus, Water Claw, Rescue mats etc.
    students will choose method and dry the rugs they cleaned
    Researching various Markets
    Training on Marketing - Dusty and Barry
    Hands-on spot and stain removal -
    wine, kool-aid, ink, Permanent marker, gum, grease and more

freemind likes this.
  15. Jay

Jay FatCat Member

Im gonna ask the stupid question of the year Anthony. I just finished taking 4 online Reets classes and we learned all about the "hot dry air to the water" and not to heat the room but only the water so it evaporates quicker.

But if you heat the water using a fan mounted to a heater, wont it quickly heat the room it is in as well?

16. aspenedelen

It will unless you contain the wet material with plastic. If you tent the area you are confining the heat to wet materials and not heating the air space

Scott Warrington likes this.