Should You Ever Mention Your Competition? Ford Did! FedEX Did! - fencerider Case Study

Discussion in 'Print Ads' started by fencerider, Aug 28, 2013.

1. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

FTwX37i_zpsb7e02261.jpg

Is that a killer image or what?

How do you feel about mentioning the competition in your ads?

99% of people will say it would be classless to do so, but is it? Why? Just because you've always heard people say it?

Are you offering a superior value? If YES, then isn't it your duty to tell people about it?

It has to be done tastefully, but it CAN be done.

The great Lyman P. Wood was hired in 1957 to help Ford sell more cars. He compiled a very targeted list of Chevrolet owners and sent them this letter he wrote.

Dear Chevrolet Owner:

Yes, you are right. This letter is from the Ford Motor Company to you, a Chevrolet owner.

I am the Car Marketing Manager of the Ford Division and I am writing to tell you how to get a FREE lubrication of your car at any authorized Fod Dealership in Michigan.

Why? Because you may well be planning to buy a new car soon and I want very, very much to have you give our wonderful new 1957 Ford cars careful consideration before you buy any other make.

Perhaps you are already planning to visit a Ford Dealer and try our cars before you purchase, but frankly I received a shock this past week when our research people told me that two out of three people who buy Chevrolets haven't even been to a Ford Dealer!

Apparently these people are buying Chevrolets just out of habit – without finding out what a terrific buy our 1957 Fords are compared to Chevrolets or any other make of car.

I decided then and there to sit down and write every Chevrolet owner in America who might be buying a new car this year and do my best to get him, at the very least, to consider our new Fords before making up his mind. Fords have so much to offer you – not only in the car itself but in the high trade-in value our dealers are making – that you just can't afford not to know the facts.

(The letter then spelled out reasons why the Chevrolet owner should switch to Ford, including lower prices, better trade-ins, and better cars.)

Take the enclosed certificate and my personal card, which is also enclosed, and go see you nearest Ford Dealer. Ask the Sales Manager to arrange promptly for your FREE lubrication. Don't hesitate just because you are Chevrolet owner. He will be delighted to see you and as you will note own my card, I have asked him to give you special consideration.

Unless I miss my guess, he will make you a trade-in offer on your Chevrolet that you just won't be able to turn down! The very least you will get out of your visit is the FREE lubrication job – with my compliments and his.

Cordially,
    Chase Morsey Jr.
    Car Marketing Manager

This letter was sent 56 years ago, simply amazing. It made direct marketing history. It was the first time any large company had named a competitor in advertising. It had never been done before.

The letter was sent to 257,000 Chevrolet owners in Michigan. As you may have guessed, some people were pissed!

When the storm died down a top executive at Ford told Lyman "You know, I spend $2 million on a TV program and nobody calls me up. I don't hear from anybody. Then I send out a few lousy letters and get swamped."

Guys, that's the power of a direct message offering better value to a targeted list of prospects.

What other golden nuggets do you take from this letter?

AndyB and Joe EcoPro like this.
  2. 212.0

212.0 Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Name:
    Ty Cranmore
    Awesome!

3. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

cmon 212! Marinate on this, go deep inside that cranium of yours. What other golden nuggets do you see in the Ford letter?

4. Joseph Rogers

Joseph Rogers Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

He put the brand in their head, right alongside what they currently use. He mentioned the brand MULTIPLE TIMES, in the letter. That's neuro-marketing, right there. Freaking brilliant.

Personal touch is awesome, too. "Folks, I don't care if you buy a Ford, or not...but I want you to come into our dealership, and expose yourselves to our Sales Department. To get you there, I'm going to give you a no obligation lubrication! How AWESOME are we, and I bet you'll realize that once you see our new 1957 Fords!"

Nice.

fencerider likes this.
  5. FastEddie

FastEddie FatCat Entrepreneur

I do all the time mostly because my competitors are trying to rape their customers financially and it pisses me off.
    I mean I'm all about making as much as you can but there comes a point when it's just ridiculous. I call them out whenever I can.

FastEddie

fencerider likes this.
  6. 212.0

Name:
    Ty Cranmore

Just spent the last couple hours in the gym "marinating" this little piece of geniousness, it is brilliant. Really think about how you would feel if you got a semi customized letter to you basically asking for a chance, it is an awesome idea and goes right along the lines of what I want to do for the EDDM piece but makes me want to play a little more with it and test right now. I have 1000+ postcards going out everyday with sometimes good response sometimes not so much, I am thinking about trying this little idea in a hand picked area and I can adjust and trying it in another hand picked area. The "bread and butter" area I like to hit is made up of 10,000 homes, attached to that is another very lucrative 18000 home development ALL single story retirees. I have a place in mind that I have NEVER put any flyers in and its 15 minutes up the road, VIRGIN GROUND! plus its in the middle of NOWHERE and nobody really markets there. I have gotten a few jobs out there because they say I am the first to come up on search but technically its not my town and they say im the only one that will come out, which is nuts its literally 15 minutes up the road. Anyway its another retirement golf community, very nice single level homes.

First view is a close up and the second will show you how isolated it is

Test_zpsab42cff3.jpg

test1_zpsa0d001ca.jpg

fencerider likes this.
  7. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

Oh snap! Looks like a great area to start farming...you are the master at hitting them over and over too...keep us in the loop here on FatCat on how that goes...You are bringing some awesome stuff to the table 212, I like your style.

212.0 likes this.
  8. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

@212.0 There are several communities up Lake Pleasant Pkwy that are very will hidden, I'll try to get a bird eye's view on it...

212.0 likes this.
  9. 212.0

Name:
    Ty Cranmore

Thats Peoria though and lets just say " I've been warned"

10. 212.0

Name:
    Ty Cranmore
    The nice lady at the city code office even offered to give me my signs back if I would come meet them at the police station, I declined

Peoria is a nice area, I do want to hit that area hard, but...... they are very strict on flyer delivery, finger prints and background checks on all owners and distributors, which is fine for me but not so fine for one of my flyer guys, nice guy and VERY loyal but he has a past.

11. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    In this business it may be odd to name a direct competitor in your ad just because there are hundreds and most are small business, therefore it's more personal than just "ford" or "ups".

But I do think a cool comparison chart of services offered and included vs "the leading competition" would be a great idea!

I also love the idea of personal sales letters. I'd like to develop this more in depth.

12. 212.0

Name:
    Ty Cranmore

I did a small case study today, ive decided sometimes bringing up "competitors" name doesnt end well

13. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

LOL LOL....it hasn't ended though 212....it's only just begun...

14. 212.0

Name:
    Ty Cranmore
    probably true

15. UpFront Home Services

UpFront Home Services Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I mention my competitors in a good way. I have no beef with anyone. There's plenty of fish.

In fact... I go as far as mentioning to people a couple of other really good companies on the area... I tell them especially when they clearly are price shopping... "Mam, if you decide not to go with us be sure to stick with another reputable company such as (blank) and (blank) from what I hear they both provide excellent service." What happens... 8/10 will say "wow that was really honest of you... You know what lets go ahead and schedule."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

16. katycarpetcleaning

katycarpetcleaning FatCat Entrepreneur

Of course the other two blanks are higher than you...lol

17. UpFront Home Services

I typically mention you lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

18. katycarpetcleaning

katycarpetcleaning FatCat Entrepreneur

That's one higher...lol

19. admiralhawg

admiralhawg FatCat Entrepreneur

I live in a small town, full of Southern people raised in the Bible belt.

Talking bad about people is frowned upon.

You save that for the prayer list in sunday school.

20. UpFront Home Services

Lol! Never!