Selling Sucks!!!

Discussion in 'Sales Mastery' started by UpFront Home Services, Dec 4, 2013.

1. UpFront Home Services

UpFront Home Services Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I used to find myself saying this exact thing... No body likes a salesman. I found myself going in for $150 and leaving with... You guessed it $150.

I know, I know... You've heard all the stuff about in home scripts... I hate them and I would never use one.

Think of this like speech class... Who have the best speech... The kid who read word for word or sounds like he's reading word for word... Or the kid that had note cards with memory notes?

I know for me I a always performed best with memory notes. And the biggest thing to remember is to stay away from the word "Um" it makes you sound stupid.

Another good rule of thumb... Don't Sell. Make recommendations and present options.

Focus on all of the services you have available and offer the ones that may be relevant to the consumer.

To do this I put together a Check In document, which has all of my services and is set up like an invoice as well. I walk the house with my clipboard and I discuss the areas of concern with the consumer... LISTEN. THEN TALK.

Once the walkthrough is complete I ask "which protector would you like to apply today?" Or "would you like to apply carpet protector after your cleaning today?"

Then I proceed to discuss my other services.

I have DOUBLED my tickets based on this method.

It makes sense why. I'm presenting relevant information to the consumer. I give the consumer options and they respond. The worst thing they could do is say No. I'm not scared of being told no. I am scared that by not offering these services consumers may miss out on a solid cleaning experience.

So if you find yourself saying you hate selling... Think about setting a process in place that you do on every job that focuses on your strengths and the consumers needs. Just remember to LISTEN... You don't want to be a TV sales guy at Bestbuy after all....

I'm planning on offering a new maintenance cleaning / stay beautiful style package as well... That's gonna go on the Check In Document soon enough.

I hope this helps and makes you think about what you can be doing to make selling easier / very plug and play so anyone can get in the truck and make sales.

Six Figure Solo Cleaner and Kipp like this.
  2. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

Great post, people often stereo type sales with a slimy car sales guy. Fact is if your in business your by default in sales whether you like it or not. Those that embrace it thrive, those that fight it flounder or fail.

3. UpFront Home Services

Being a business owner is being in sales. That's a great way to think about it. If you don't want to sell your product assortment then you will fail. As cleaners we can offer soooooo much more to our customers. To be quite honest I love the sales aspect more so than I do the cleaning aspect. The sales aspect is a game. The cleaning is work lol...

4. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    To Sell is Human talks about this very subject. Like, word for word.

Bill Yeadon likes this.
  5. UpFront Home Services

Well it's good to know in not completely full of sh!t. Do you pitch add on services?

6. TheEyeball

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Not like I should. I have a new project in the works that will fix that, though. To be revealed Spring or early Summer 2014.

Kipp likes this.
  7. UpFront Home Services

I've been thinking that this seems to be quite common in our industry... Were so focused on the next lead that we don't maximize the leads we already have. I'm definitely 1000% guilty of this.

The Check In Document was first on my list of renovations. I'll be pushing new stuff in as I go now.

8. TheEyeball

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Honestly my biggest problem is time. If I add a couch on, or a kitchen with tile and grout, then I'll be an hour late to my next job. That's why I think trained helpers are such a good idea. Torrey kills it with his guy.

9. UpFront Home Services

Very much so. I'm seeing that I can finish most jobs with add ons in an hour and a half to two hours. I'd love to have a helper so that I could move faster. I'm actually debating on bringing on a helper during the "slower" season to train and keep with me. I'm just not sure what kind of pay id want to give out lol...

I can only imagine how quick Torrey moves. I've been wondering if people think the little upholstery spotter is to rinky dinky though...

10. TheEyeball

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    You can buy yourself a lot of leeway with the way you dress, communicate, and work. A sharp looking guy who just made the trashed dining room look brand new can clean the sofa with whatever he darn well pleases!

11. UpFront Home Services

Hahahaha just remember to wear a tie! ;)

Makes sense. If a guy hops out of a ghetto pickup looking all jacked up and busts out the spotter... Joe Homeowner says get the F out. Guy with a tie does it and it's all good

12. UpFront Home Services

Update-- In 2 days I have had $1200 in Add On sales. Mostly Upholstery, Tile, Pet Odor, and Protector. Also sold a Window Cleaning.

I need to read this book Ross keeps talking about. Maybe I can get better at Add Ons by finding problems that I can solve for them.

Kipp and Jeff like this.
  13. UpFront Home Services

So I was doing some reading today and I found these to be very interesting and very reinforcing.

You've Got Mail-Bait-

I get emails about sales and offers throughout the year from my favorite retail stores. These enticing reminders keep customers returning to the store, which is the most important part of the equation. Retailers are willing to slash the price of your purchase, in hopes that you'll end up spending more than intended.

The Sales Associate-

According to a study conducted by American Express, it was shown that people were more likely to spend when they received good customer service -- about 13 percent more. This might be attributed to the sales associate's ability to boost the customer's self-confidence and provide reassurance by telling them what they want to hear.

Smells Like Money-

The power of smell is hard to ignore. Smell is most capable of allowing humans to recall their memories and trigger certain emotions. Marketers exploit the association of smell to a memory and and steer us to make purchases. The basic concept is that pleasant odor will put you in a good mood, which will increase your likelihood of spending more money.

This last strategy was the most interesting to me and the reasoning behind it makes absolute sense as to why a customer will buy something with such a high value that has been heavily discounted...

Bigger Sales = More Savings = Better Deal?

People subconsciously believe that there is a strong correlation between the price and the quality. So naturally, consumers are more likely to opt for the item that is on sale for $100, versus an item that retails for the same price.

Are there any strategies that you are already using? Anything you would like to use?

14. pridecc1

pridecc1 FatCat Noob

the strategy that i like to use is generating leads from smalltalk with the customer,i might be going there only to do 1 room of carpet-cleaning,as im doing the job i ask little questions about things around the house.for instance i go to the bathroom and notice the tiles are dirty and mention to the customer" have you ever thought about getting your tiles cleaned" then they reply, do you do tiles as well? yes and they come up amazing.then you do a scrubtest on the grout by spraying 1 square metre of tile and grout cleaner in an obvious spot if your doing the kitchen then do right in the middle if your brave and experienced then let it soak for ten minutes and work in with a grout brush,rinse thoroughly with a very wet mop a few times then dry with a towel.this is a quick test you can do for T and G without firing up your machine and powerhead.we all know its not worth doing that for a free 1 square metre demoseeing is believing and if your trying to push extra services its always a good idea to do a little demo in an obvious spot.(that way the customer walks past it every day,looks at it and compares the clean area to the dirty area and sort of feels compelled to call you as why would you have one part of your kitchen clean and the rest dirty.i invented this marketing technique and many more and it converts to extra sales and leads.

15. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen FatCat Entrepreneur

Lotsa good information in this thread.

Steve

PS So UpFront, did you ever develop your Maintenance Cleaning package? You are welcome to use our SFS Stay Beautiful program as a guide. I'll be interested in how you tweak it.

16. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Great post UpFront!

Couldn't have said it better.

17. Earl Grubbs

Earl Grubbs FatCat Member

Name:
    Earl Grubbs
    Well duh I could have told you this a thousand years ago that selling sucks its literally the dumbest thing in the world and if you think your going to be some sort of a Zig Zikeler than your living in a dream world buddy and you can take that to the bank. I mean seriously just learn how to get good and I mean real good at cleaning whatever it is that you clean and you'll have all the riches in the world. And in my case I can clean almost anything due to the my having of over several dozen certifications so take it from me I think I know what I'm talking about hear.

18. Six Figure Solo Cleaner

Six Figure Solo Cleaner Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I frigging LOVE sales

19. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen FatCat Entrepreneur

A slight correction, Six. All cleaners "LOVE sales". (Money!)

The problem is they hate, despise and avoid "selling".

Steve

PS I know you love "selling" and kudos for your initiative.

20. Six Figure Solo Cleaner

Six Figure Solo Cleaner Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Thx.

Growth beyond a single truck requires sales automation.

How do you propose that process be done/implemented?

*note* I'm soooooo not a fan of phone scripts. I don't like how they turn humans into robots.

My preference is to customize & individualize each client interaction.