Restaurant wants HORRIBLE tile and grout cleaned and or re grouted.. Tools?

Discussion in 'Tile, Stone, & Grout Care' started by Torrey W, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Hey boys. This is a restaurant kitchen floor that has years of build up from the greasy food and lack luster mopping by the lackys they employ.. I suggested we just do a thorough cleaning but they feel that it needs regrouted..

If we decide to do a regrouting, what tools would you use to remove old grout?

2. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
  3. PristinePete

PristinePete FatCat Noob

Name:
    Peter Diehl
    yeah, my days of dealing with those nasty, greasy, wet, cheap, late paying, ungrateful, pia, late night, stinky ass restaurants is over. But that's just me...we've built a pretty nice residential niche, don't miss commercial at all.

Michael's Kleen Green likes this.
  4. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

5. FastEddie

FastEddie FatCat Entrepreneur

The grout doesnt need to be removed. At worst it just needs to be sanded down a bit. Easier yet would be a deep cleaning and color seal application. Even that might require some sanding in certain areas due to soil absorption.

Martin Sanchez likes this.
  6. Robert Atlas

Robert Atlas Entrepreneur

Name:
    Robert Atlas
    It depends on how deep the soil and contaminants have penetrated into the grout and how to proceed. Do a test on the grout and see?

7. C&D Cleaning Service

C&D Cleaning Service FatCat Member

Large grout saw. Take the top layer off. Hit it with Mold and mildew treatment. Dwell 10-15 minutes. Steam vapor clean anything that won't come clean then clean the floor as a whole. Maybe seal the grout. There is huge upsell opportunity here.

Just my humble opinion.

8. C&D Cleaning Service

Correction, after the vapor you must use a tile and grout cleaner for a second cleaning. Get this customer on a maintenance program ASAP :)! Their floor should never look this bad again.

9. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    They are super cheap, shocking i know, and do not want maintenance programs or anything. They just want to pass board of health iinspections which is who told them to "regrout" . They obviously dont have a clue what they are talking about. To clean this im thinking im gonna need a pressure washer to blast out the sludge in the lines.

If we do it ill take video!

Matt30577 likes this.
  10. C&D Cleaning Service

I wasn't thinking that you had drainage and could get this super wet. A pressure washer will get this clean (and pretty quickly). The problem (not for you) is that will darken up in a matter of days if not treated right. If they are cheap then they get what they pay for! It's amazing how many businesses and people will shortcut to save money and it will ultimately cost them more in the end. SMH

11. Jeffrey Tobian

Jeffrey Tobian FatCat Member

Name:
    Jeffrey B. Tobian
    I like doing commercial kitchens , I scrub it first with my buffer with a brush block to get the food off that is stuck to the tile and then I use my spinner tool. The nice thing is they are not too picky because the next day it will be a mess again and using a good prespray is important, What prespray does everyone use for commercial kitchens?

scrubbing the tile and grout.jpg

13 - 1 (12).jpg

Michael's Kleen Green likes this.
  12. Scott Warrington

Scott Warrington FatCat Entrepreneur

Some strong presprays have objectionable odors which is not good around food. I like the Viper VEnom Powder with Citrus Solv for the degreasing ability and the pleasant fragrance.

13. Whole House Carpet

Whole House Carpet FatCat Noob

Did you do the job? How did it come out? What did you use?

14. Mike the Tile Guy

Mike the Tile Guy FatCat Noob

Hey guys, just wanted to share my perspective as my company is solely grout and tile repairs maintenance in restaurants in Orlando and throughout Florida. Alot of them hire cleaning companies and every owner I met was a great connection. Cleaning companies are crucial imo for restaurants. When it comes to regrouting them though, there is a much different process involved. Grout requires a certain depth to actually bond and last on restaurant floors. The key is to remove all of that old gunk down deep enough before you install new grout. The only way to consistently do that is by using the right equipment. I'm going to ask if he's on here, but one of my good friends I met thru him cleaning a restaurant that we were repairing tiles in. He actually sent business my way and I returned the favor for him.

Anyways, thanks for having me in. Just wanted to give my advice on it. I wouldn't take on a regrout unless you are experienced with the process it takes to do it right. That way you earn repeat business. Here's a pic of one of our recent projects. We removed the grout before installing the new

Mike
    Florida Tile Pro's Company
    Restaurant Tile & Grout Maintenance Repair
    fltilepro@gmail.comAdobe_20170702_163729.jpg PicsArt_07-02-04.49.07.jpg

15. doneanddusted

doneanddusted FatCat Noob

Wow that is pretty grim. I don't think you need to remove the grout, do the standard cleaning first and see what they think of it. If they still want it re-grouted after that then yeah, use the suggestions given above to remove the top layer and re-do it.