Record Breaking Week

Discussion in 'Sales Mastery' started by Carpet-Rx of Louisville, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Carpet-Rx of Louisville

Carpet-Rx of Louisville Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

So this has been an extremely busy week for me (last week). Besides moving into a larger house, getting things in place for the wedding in September, and having a big birthday party for my soon to be stepson, I just took on 4 new accounts with a chain restaurant.
    Besides all of that, I had a lady call me from Texas, that discovered me on Yelp, just moved up here, and paid me $1300 cash to clean her house. It took 7 hours.
    Then a lady called me to come clean her house, that was a dream job. It was spotless to begin with, she and her hawaiian shirt wearing husband took their dog somewhere for the 3 hours it took me to to that $681.90 job.
    There were other jobs here and there that were just a few hundred bucks, but between these new monthly commercial accounts and my new ability to present my estimates in such a way that I feel very confident, I feel like Im really making a lot of progress.
    I just want more and more of these kinds of jobs, and I really feel like they are going to happen.
    Here's what I switched up:
    Instead of throwing in hallways and small rugs and closets in for free, and moving at a very busy pace, I slowed my approach up a lot. When Im doing a walk through with the customer, I ask if they have a walk in closet over there on the other side of the bathroom...this lets us walk through to look at it and I ask her about the tile and grout.
    Instead of breezing through each room, I now bring in my uv flashlight and glasses in each house, and USE it. I bring my moisture meter too. Then I kneel down and ask about any areas of concern.
    So after we walk through, I ask if I can have a seat. Then I add up everything...I used to cut my own throat just to get the sale.
    After I add it all up, I just write the total at the bottom and circle it. I still write down everything im doing, but it's more detailed now. And with one price. I don't actually show what each and everything costs anymore...because they start taking things off the list.

Anyway I almost hit $3k last week ( never even came close to that before ), which has really boosted my confidence, and I feel like all I want to do now is $600 jobs! I'm not going to limit myself anymore. I may not be a FatCat yet, but I'm getting there.

FastEddie likes this.
  2. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    That's great to hear man!

Everyone deserves a good week!

Rinse and repeat bro!

3. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

Brilliant. Taking pride in your abilities and having confidence can make a huge difference. Don't ask me how I know! (<--lol @Steve Toburen )

Seriously though, I've burnt myself over and over through the years not charging enough. I too have learned this lesson the hard way.

4. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

Good to hear Brandon!

5. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen FatCat Entrepreneur

Yep. I tell every SFS class that they are the "cream of the crop" of our industry. (And they really are.) Yet virtually every single SFS graduate (over 3,000 and growing) tells me they raise their prices after attending SFS.

Steve

PS So far I've heard zero feedback about serious customer resistance to these price increases. HERE is my five-step system to raising prices I shared with a Little Rock SFS grad.

6. JB

JB FatCat Member

Awesome work Brandon, I really like the sound of your new approach.

The very cool thing about hitting record weeks or even better having a few in a row is that all of a sudden you know it's possible because you just did it. The even cooler thing is that you have raised yourself to another level. From there it is hard to go back and accept anything less.

My guess is you will do a lot more of these type of jobs.

Well done mate

7. Carpet-Rx of Louisville

I know dude! I have an estimate/ possible clean this morning on some furniture and area rugs. Normally my whole approach would have been.....ok, I have to figure out my bottom dollar before I get there because I need this job. I would psyche myself out before I got there and then start throwing in free scotchgard to try to get them to say ok.

Now Im more calm, confident, and have no fear. I just thought of this while I was typing...maybe these new monthly accounts have given me a peace of mind, where I now have regular money coming in, so Im not so desperate for each and every job.

Anyway, I appreciate all of your all's nice comments. Here's to raising ourselves to the "Next Level!"

JB likes this.
  8. Steve Mastio

Steve Mastio FatCat Member

Name:
    Steve Mastio
    Congrats Brandon - It's a good feeling to understand WHY you are having success. Now maybe the challenge will be growing/expanding your business with control. I don't know you, but it's fun to hear your story.

9. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen FatCat Entrepreneur

So good to hear this, Brandon. It just changes the whole thing when you are not "desperate". (It isn't just dogs who can smell fear!)

Steve

PS Brandon's story perfectly illustrates why it is so important to build a "toll booth" route of regular commercial accounts. This regular "guaranteed" cash flow gives you the freedom to be picky with residential jobs.

Show of hands here: How many of you took on a residential customer that deep down in your gut you KNEW would be a pain but you did it anyway because you had to make payroll? And then of course you bitterly regretted it! Once again, imagine the freedom (and power) of being able to say, "You know, Mrs. Jones, my schedule just filled up. But I think my buddy Torrey could probably fit you in. Here is his phone number..." :)

10. Carpet-Rx of Louisville

Mastio,
    You couldn't be more right, man. I feel like I could be forced into expanding faster than what I expected. I thought maybe if one magical day I suddenly got more work then I could handle I would just worry about it when the time came.
    Do you have any advice on preparing for that time when it comes rather than ignoring it?

11. Carpet-Rx of Louisville

(Raising hand high)
    I still take on pain in the butt customers. If there is a job I cant do for one reason or another, I actually have biz cards of different people Ive met at Bridgepoint of Louisville (the Interlink Supply store here), and I refer the customer to them.
    If it's a customer that was a REALLY big pain, then I would give them Torrey's number!!!

12. Steve Mastio

Steve Mastio FatCat Member

Name:
    Steve Mastio
    I guess that the best advice I would give you is a saying I once heard that said, "begin with the end in mind". (Steven Covey) If you want to grow, visualize what size you would like to be, think about all the things that you will be doing, needing and controlling. Then, work it backwards and start learning about the things that might get you there - like software, equipment, people management skills and financial needs. Then start! The right software will certainly help you control the peaks and valley that will come, education will pay off in spades in the areas of equipment and people skills, and it's never to late to start understanding your options to have a credit line or other cash flow resource. Sounds like commons sense stuff, but even the best tennis players at Wimbledon have coaches sitting in the stands to remind them of the approach to the top. THIS SITE WILL CERTAINLY HELP AND I SUGGEST YOU USE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. All the Best...