Overcoming the "preferred vendor" the adjuster suggests.. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Water Damage/Fire Restoration' started by Torrey W, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I just wanted to jump through the phone this morning!
    I was referred to a friend by a home builder I know as their basement flooded from a pipe burst last night.
    They were thrilled that I'd come out this morning and told me they already had a claim number started and just wanted me to do that ever I had to just to make it right again. Perfect job.

I'm on my way out and I get the text: "Sorry but our adjust Strongly Suggests we use their preferred vendor Serv-Pro..... I'm sorry. Have a good day"

Boy the things I almost typed back....

What would say? How would you try to keep the job?

2. Tater

Tater FatCat Member

Call them..do not text back. Advise them the insurance company can not tell anyone who to use or not to use. (They may have a price set up, which you can work with i am sure.)

If its my house, I want someone not only qualified, but someone to give me personal service, not hurry to the next job.

3. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I told them exactly that and she said she wanted to use me because of the trust from her friend put in me, but she felt obligated to go with the insurances recommendation in fear they would fight her.

We ended on a super positive note and she swore she will be calling me in the future for more work, but I'm still pissed off that this happened.

I called the guy (her friend) that referred me and told him, and he said that even he tried telling her that she could still use me and should.. But no avail.

I just know they are gonna send in some nasty techs and destroy way more than they should. Baseboards, drywall and cabinets that aren't needed to come out, all in the name of higher ticket.

4. freemind

freemind Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Life lessons are tough lessons. What this person will learn is there is a time to fight and there is a time to be peaceful. If they won't fight for what they want, they will get exactly what they bargained for.

While it may be somewhat sad at what is likely to happen, they are the ones with the power to avoid it. If they won't stand up, you certainly can't make them. In the end, the insurance company doesn't really care. They will make all that money back with higher premiums. The one who loses, is the policy holder.

5. admiralhawg

admiralhawg FatCat Entrepreneur

It's only a matter of time before ServPro screws it all up for themselves and the insurance companies, one by one, make a 180 degree turn around.

I see the beginnings of that here. I don't do insurance work, so I am never put in the position you were, but I hear what the insures are are saying after they see what ServPro charged their insurance company. First it's the insures and then it's the adjusters a little later.

6. 0331grunt

0331grunt FatCat Player

Coming from another large loss contractor, ServiceMaster, I can fully understand how that works. It bugs the crap out of me to see people taken advantage of by these guys. Not all of the big guys are bad, but sometimes, $$$ looks better than integrity and honesty in the job. I am all about making the $$, but integrity is better and more beneficial in the long run. I am looking to find that balance between $$ and doing the right thing for the customer.

7. Harry Mullett

Harry Mullett FatCat Entrepreneur

Insurance work is the least favorite part of my business. Insurance companies want to do a little as possible for the home owner. And the home owner wants as much as possible so it puts the restoration professional in the middle of an adversarial system.

So I do very little sub-contracting for a couple of restoration companies. The small restoration companies are struggling as the large firms get closer and closer into the insurance companies preferred provider programs. I have to wonder if insurance companies actually own some of the big players in the restoration arena.

Another thing I don't like about insurance work is the insurance company sets all the rules and we begin to work for them. I did not become a business owner to feel like I had to kiss someone's a$$ as practically an employee.

8. Martin Sanchez

Martin Sanchez Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

call the adjuster take him out to lunch and see what is needed to become a preferred vendor. I just did a small restoration with Johnny at an insurance office. the property management company sent me. they wanted servpro and in fact, servpro was there. My PM declined and said they would send me.
    long story short, the guy liked how we handled the job and said he would put me on their database. Of course, after I walked into the office with smoothies for both him and his secretary.

9. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I hear those types of horror stories, and SFS addresses this really well. However I rarely have any issues with this. Maybe it's my dapper smile or ability to BS, but I generally love insurance work.

This last job, the homeowner is raving on how great we treated her and took care of her needs, example being spending an hour just handing her heirlooms from a closet slowly while she cleaned and packed them up in a tote. A few minutes just taking the time to show you care (or Atleast pretend) and they are butter the rest of the job.

Also you have to pretend to be fighting for them like its a "us vs them" when your on site, and do the same with the adjuster. And it doesn't mean you have to lie. Just genuinely try to help both parties have a smooth transaction.

10. aspenedelen

aspenedelen FatCat Player

It is incredibly hard as a small O/O to break into the PVL. I have heard everything from golf outings, fishing trips, hotel stays with unlimited liquor, free meals, and the list goes on and on.

All I can say is somehow befriend your top adjuster then prove to him you are willing to do about anythingto be his or her top referral. It that means discounting your losses by 25% so be it. Give him a referral fee for his time. You have to begin to get on par with what the big players are doing and Iif you don'tforget about the PVL.

11. Tater

Tater FatCat Member

I have about 8 years in another industry that worked mostly with insurance adjusters and claims. You always have 2 customers for one job, the adjuster and the claimant. You have to always keep both happy. So 2 customers and about half the profit. Does not seem fair does it? lol.

Get your card and face in front of them. It will be a timing issue. That is, either a current vendor screws up, or something happens and they need more than the regulars, so hopefully they have your card and remember you.

It pays to always market anytime anywhere. My best adjuster I met through a friend at the pool. I came up not knowing who she was, but poured my friend a drink and offered her one too. We started talking and one thing led to another and BAM got a call on Monday.

12. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen FatCat Entrepreneur

That's about it. As Torrey says...
    Yes, this playing the mediator thing can be difficult and frustrating. But restoration has created more multi-millionaires by far than any other sector of our industry!

Steve

PS I loved restoration. In fact, it grew to 40% of our gross yet it provided over 80% of our net profit! I've done up a pretty good free e-manual on how to "Recession Proof Your Restoration Business". It is a free download HERE or just write me at stevet@jondon.com and I'll email you one.

13. aspenedelen

aspenedelen FatCat Player

I agree with what Steve has said about Restoration and making multimillionaires. This industry is incredibly can be profitable IF you play the game professionally and ethically.