Optic Brighteners

Discussion in 'Carpet Cleaning' started by Diederik, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Diederik

Diederik FatCat Member

Name:
    Diederik Visser
    Hi Everyone

I would like to know : Optic Brighteners what are they and are they bad for carpets and upholstery and if so why?

I see a lot of people advertise their products that have no optic brighteners and so on and wondered if it makes a difference.

Thank you in advance for the help!!!!

2. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Far as I know they void warranties. Optic brighteners are used a lot in laundry detergent. But I honestly don't know why they're so bad for carpet.

3. Diederik

Diederik FatCat Member

Name:
    Diederik Visser
    Thank you so much for coming back to me so quick. Here in South Africa we are so behind with upholstery cleaning chemicals It is really difficult to know what to buy because most is bad quality or very diluted.

I found Turtle wax product very useful.

4. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Honestly I just use carpet prespray. An ounce or so in 32 ounces of water. I know the chemistry supposedly isn't perfect, but I pretty much don't care. It works.

5. oldcarpetvet

oldcarpetvet FatCat Member

Long story short.....Optical brighteners change/alter the wavelength of light. It's a false "clean". They don't wash out of carpets the same way they do in a laundry detergent. In time they yellow and brown. In short, They suck for carpet cleaning. You'll void the warrantee if you use them. And in this day and age....You don't need them. Today's carpet cleaning chemistry renders optical brighteners obsolete.

6. Tom Ingram

Tom Ingram FatCat Entrepreneur

This is carpet that was cleaned with a Hoover 5 brush extractor. Their cleaning solution has optical brighteners in it... That is the blue lines and circles in the carpet. It will not come out.

Attached Files:

freemind and TheEyeball like this.
  7. Diederik

Diederik FatCat Member

Name:
    Diederik Visser
    Wow thank you guys this helps me out a lot I will not use the chemical I am going to try out now. Great that I asked.

8. Scott Warrington

Scott Warrington FatCat Entrepreneur

Optical brighteners take in UV light that we can not see and reflect it back at blueish / white light. This makes things look brighter or cleaner than they actually are. Very common in laundry products. You may have seen advertisements comparing how white or bright clothing looks after being cleaned with product X.

The problem is that after several weeks, they bind to the fiber and don't wash out easily. Then they age and begin turning fibers brown / yellow. This is seldom an issue for clothing that gets washed regularly. Old gets washed out, new product in. But with carpets or upholstery, what looks good the first few weeks looks yellow and old after several months.

Carpet manufacturers will not honor warranty when optical brighteners are used. Most upholstery fabric manufacturers don't like it, but they don't specifically tell folks not to use it.

It really glows under UV light, so you can find where optical brighteners have been used if you have a light.