Mytee ltd5....what else

Discussion in 'What Equipment Should I Start With?' started by ontheroad2damascus, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ontheroad2damascus

ontheroad2damascus FatCat Noob

Ok so I've done some reading on portable machines and it seems the mytee ltd 5 is the way to go for me. It might even be overkill but I want to give my customers maximum results. I am not looking to do carpet and upholstery full time. Maybe 4-8 jobs a month. It is an added residential service/trade to what I already do. So dedicating a truck is probably out of the question. The homes will tend to have minimal to average soiling......wealthy area.

I am looking at using the steam brite website for everything. My questions (so I don't make a mistake and buy something I don't need).

Is 25' of hose enough? I am guessing the reason for longer is so you don't have to lug it up stairs?

Protection of home and furniture is a must. What is necessary?

What chemicals/shampoo/degreasers are the best for residential cleaning?

Wands: plan on getting a dual jet 12", a 3.5" upholstery and a 10" stair tool. Is a crevice tool necessary?

Anything else I need? Seems the ltd5 "starter package" on clean brite has more than what a small time guy needs, so I am staying away from that. I am ok with the "bucket brigade" for the time being.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Mike

2. ontheroad2damascus

I just found out there is a jon-don store 45 minutes from me.....maybe I should make a trip there instead : )

Johnny Bravo likes this.
  3. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Dude, steambrite is great, but go to JonDon! They will hook you up! Which one do you live near?

Yes, longer hoses will let you clean upstairs without having to lug the portable up. But you lose some vac power with longer hose runs. So some guys will buy a booster to make up for the extra length. But that requires more power and you have to hunt for circuits all over the house. There's ups and downs to everything I guess.

I think the tools you're looking at sound pretty good. I'd definitely get a Teflon glide for your wand. Don't waste your money on a crevice/edge tool. But a carpet rake/groomer too. It'll be good for agitating dirty carpets before you clean, and grooming them after you clean so they look nice.

Chemical wise you need a general prespray, which you'll use more than anything. I like JonDon's Grand Slam SC but it might be too foamy for a portable, I'm not sure. You'll have to ask them. And I would get a Hydro-Force sprayer too. Pump ups get old quick!

Then you'll have to decide if you're going to use a rinse agent of some sort (if that's even an option with portables--I'm not sure). I use Matrix All Fiber Rinse, also from Jon-Don.

You might have to buy defoamer since you have a portable. They make liquid and crystalized. I believe with a porty you'll want liquid, but again, I don't know a lot about portables. Basically they kill the foam you'll be sucking up from your prespray. If left unchecked the foam will kill your vacuum power and make your recovery tank blow dirty suds all over the customer's house.

After that you need a general spotter. I like pretty much any white gel citrus spotter. Others like the clear amber colored spotters. But you need something to get grease, oil, tar, etc.

Then you'll want some urine stain remover. It takes out a lot more than just urine: blood, grass stains, coffee, coke, poop, puke, water stains, etc. I use USR on almost every single job. It's a great product that makes you look like a rockstar. I use Bad Dog by JonDon.

Finally you'll probably want to have some Red Relief around in case you run into red stains. And some rust remover, which I buy at Wal-Mart (get Whink, but don't get it on your skin and keep it away from kids and pets!).

4. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    And a pair of 8" napping shears. Don't get those lame duckbill shears. Get the good stuff!

http://www.amazon.com/Crain-496-Carpet-Shears-8-Inches/dp/B00D4WM2QQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1424473929&sr=8-14&keywords=napping shears

Then you can cut gum and small paint drips out of carpet. You can use them to tamp and agitate your gel spotter into various spots/stains. And you can clip cigarette burns and stuff. I also use them a lot to tuck carpet back under baseboards and stuff. You'll use them like crazy once you figure out much they really do.

5. ontheroad2damascus

Wholly frijoles! Thank you for the extensive info! That is by far the best "welcome wagon" I have ever experienced on a forum when asking questions! If you are ever in the north Chicago land area, I'll buy you lunch.....at a steakhouse. Thank you.

Mike

Johnny Bravo likes this.
  6. Michael's Kleen Green

Michael's Kleen Green FatCat Member

Name:
    michael madison
    This thread just made me examine my potential equipment a lot better!! I've had questions about what types of chemicals to use with certain types of equipment ( Portable Mytee Ltd 3 ) T Rex rotary, Crb 20 , on starting my business! I think you've covered a great deal in this older thread!! Very appreciative of the FatCat and all the Big Timers associated... Thanks The Eyeball!! Good stuff bro!

Scott Warrington likes this.
  7. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Name:
    John Sheridan

So how's it all coming along?

Michael's Kleen Green likes this.
  8. Michael's Kleen Green

Michael's Kleen Green FatCat Member

Name:
    michael madison
    Well Johnny, I'm working with the Web designers for the Marketing aspect! I'm actually taking a lot of time to write out a business plan , and every so often I try to go over it with the Marketing guys! I'm trying to make sure that the consumers or customers see me in the right way! And also carving out what I want to specialize in, trying not to stray away from the goals of building the business! I'm waiting to purchase the equipment until my website gets established... I'm averaging out cost on the equipment , chemicals needed, vehicle, business cards, etc.... And basically just learning that there's a lot more to this then just cleaning carpets!
    So to answer your question, "Hows it coming along"? Its going kinda slow but I like what I'm seeing and learning ! I still have a lot to do though before cutting the ribbon!