I need a new business name.

Discussion in 'Picking a Business Name' started by Brian__G, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Seriously though. What criteria can we use to help?

No personal name in it.
    No family name in it.
    The factory brand is out.
    The city is known for crime only apparently.
    You don't want specific names.
    And we don't want to offer you platitude filled names.

So please help us help you.

2. Brian__G

Brian__G Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Your book is on the top of my wish list at Amazon and Ross' recomendation guide is printed off and on the desk next to me.

3. Brian__G

Brian__G Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I appreciate having members only areas. How do I tell which areas are for members only and which are for the public?

4. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

Everything is now members only except "In the Trenches."

5. Zarzman72

Zarzman72 FatCat Member

Hey Brian, yr reply was all good mate. I chose my name "Zarz Carpet Cleaning" as Zarz is my "Nick Name from a while back. (My surname is Zahra). If i was to have a business I would always want to incorporate my name into it somehow like most people i think. Just thort that "Zarz Carpet Cleaning" was a bit more catchy than say "Zahra's Cleaning Services". Well its worked for me now for the last 18 years. Wouldnt even consider changing it now :)

6. johntalley

johntalley FatCat Member

Name:
    John Talley
    If you don't feel your company name

and

love your logo .. ?

Then simple .. "change It "

drive around "no Cell" ...

open your eyes and your mind in a few hours you will see some thing that grabs you ..

7. Joseph Rogers

Joseph Rogers Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I spent months trying to think of a name for my company. I tossed this idea out, and I tossed that idea out. Anything that popped into my head, I bounced off my wife.

Then she gave me a gift. Dunno if it was for my birthday, or anniversary...I suck at remembering dates. I'll never forget what matters, though. I am an eternal student...I love learning new things. She bought me this figurine, thinking I'd like it...we've got several of the Willow Tree figurines already. They all have names, titles, that evoke feelings and emotional responses...if you're unfamiliar, click this link.

I took one look, and I knew without doubt what my company name would be.

AtlantaJoe likes this.
  8. Jeffrey Tobian

Jeffrey Tobian FatCat Member

Name:
    Jeffrey B. Tobian
    What ever you do . do not call it carpet cleaning . or How to clean your carpet. give it a unique name . One that no one else has. Because if you call your business How to clean your carpets Your business will never show up on line because of the name, when someone searches your name everything else will show up even house wives telling you how to clean your carpet.

AndyB likes this.
  9. Mike Raimer

Mike Raimer FatCat Member

Name:
    Mike Raimer
    I had the same issue. Trying to name a company that you want to expand in the future and dont want to limit yourself. I made a list of names that sounded good and always liked the subliminal and double meanings to words. I came up with Sensibly Clean Services Company. I did use the logo to promote the carpet cleaning and other floor care, but also played of the Commons sense with Ben Franklin. Thats why the S in the logo looks like a dollar sign relating back to Common Sense which is about saving money. Convoluted, but my thought process. Biggest issue I have had is people cant spell the name when the write the checks.

AndyB likes this.
  10. 10BucksARoom

10BucksARoom FatCat Noob

I hate it when people use their personal name for a business, most names are not catchy or memorable, usually makes your company sound small time too.. Also,do not use carpet cleaning in the name,you may expand your services. A few ideas...Come up with a very catchy,memorable,easy to spell name,that doesnt exist...like ..google,yahoo etc..or a Synonym of the word or words that describe what you do...Another idea...Greek Gods/Goddesses..they have some really cool catchy names...think outside the box...be unique...

11. AtlantaJoe

AtlantaJoe FatCat Noob

Having words "carpet cleaning" or at least "cleaning" in your domain name (if you have a website) will do a lot for you in terms of Google listing position. Also having the city name helps as well.