I got 99 problems but a PITCH ain't one....

Discussion in 'Sales Mastery' started by Kipp, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

I like being prepared before offering my services.

My preparation includes having a good understanding of the benefits of each service I offer. Specifically how it benefits not just one type of customer, but a all of my most common customers.

What I mean by that is I present my services in different ways depending on what I find are the wants, needs and affords of the customer I am dealing with.

For example, pet treatments are a top upsell for me. However, the benefits (in the customers eyes) of a pretreatment to a long time homeowner who plans to live in their home for years to come vs. a new homeowner just moving in vs a renter moving out vs. a property manager cleaning for a new tenant all vary.

A renter moving out has one goal, retain their security deposit. An existing homeowner wants to sanitize their home for their family, a new homeowner would want a sanitized own also, but also deter their pets from having the need to "mark" their territory. A property manager wants their property to rent as quickly as possible for the most rent possible, and wants to avoid costly replacement charges...I'm not listing all the possible benefits, just making a point.

I like to have my "pitch", a better description would be my "feature/benefit" presentation tailored to the client I am dealing with. This applies to all my key services...by doing this I maximize my chances of raising my ticket and generating future business.

I do focus on avoiding one trap, that is "pre-qualifying" my customers. I have learned over the years to not judge what I think a customer can and can not afford, what services they would and would not be interested in...my goal is to present 100% of my services 100% of the time. Obviously the delivery is different in every case. It can come with discussions with the customer during the consultation, or during the post walk through, or just leaving a pamphlet at the end of the job.

Marlin and TheEyeball like this.
  2. $teamy

$teamy FatCat Member

Wow very nice. That's so true a renter moving out vs a long term homeowner. I'll have to remember to pitch the angle of the security deposit. I bet that is a motivating thing to show them.

3. Pile Crusher

Pile Crusher FatCat Noob

Yeah, I never thought of this that way...I need to change my approach on some customers. Good post...

4. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Nailed it dude. This is soooooo important. Pay attention to the context surrounding each individual customer so you can adapt your pitch, but never make the decisions for them.

5. Marlin

Marlin FatCat Member

Very good info.
    I think believing in your product and showing excitement in that belief is powerful.
    Being lazy and unenergetic about your sales is the easiest thing to fail on.

6. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

bump