I Finally Did It!

Discussion in 'Sales Mastery' started by ratherbewalking, May 15, 2014.

1. ratherbewalking

ratherbewalking Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I have struggled for a few years with letting my personal beliefs get in the way of selling jobs. I would always look at the price that I should charge, and think to myself "Man, thats too much" and knock the price down because I thought it was too much money. With the help of my new unofficial kick-ass business coach @212.0 (Ty)who has been pushing me to get out and sell more, I have become more comfortable (or for @Royal Man that would be "comfordable").

Today I went out to a job, sized it up, and walked over to the customer with the estimate. I gave her the price to clean some tile, and to seal it afterwards. I didn't bat an eye, I just said it and waited for her response. She told me that she needed to check with her husband and make sure it was ok, and gave me a rough idea on when they were looking to get'r done. I know-I know, I didn't close the deal, but that doesnt even matter to me! I didn't give in and knock the price down before it even got to the customer. This is a major breakthrough for me and I thought I would share it with everyone because I know I'm not the only one that has this problem.

With such a major breakthrough, I can only express my true feelings by sharing this picture with all of you.

2. 0331grunt

0331grunt FatCat Player

I can totally relate. Yesterday I did an estimate for whole house cleaning and the lady said, that is A LOT of $$$! I said I know and dropped the price and she still didn't bite.. I feel sick when I drop the price when I know I am worth it. I need a swift kick in the pants..

BTW.. good job on getting it done!

3. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

Closing deals is like scoring the hot chick...the minute you act like you don't give a sh!t you win....nobody wants a pansy ass suck up nobody

Johnny Bravo, 212.0 and OneBlueSummer like this.
  4. freemind

freemind Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Great job @ratherbewalking !
    The first step to getting paid what you are worth, is simply asking for it firmly and confidently.

I will relate something a friend of mine says when he has something to sell. When someone tries to work him down on his price her says "If I was willing to sell for less, that means I was trying to screw you to begin with. I priced it at what I feel is fair. Take it or leave it". And he means every word of it.

Not every customer will think the same way in their head, but how many do, when in short order we try to offer discounts?

At first, I felt the same way. "Boy, that seems like a lot to me. I don't know if I would pay that much or if the client is willing to pay that much". But, I have my pricing down to what is profitable to me, and a price I am happy and willing to do the work for. I realize every person is not my customer, nor is everyone going to be willing to pay what I want paid to do something. I do though, price at what I know is fair for me.

I am in a position to not really care if they like it or not. I'm not starving if they don't bite. I doubt that will ever change. I devalued myself when I first started, and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I can't see doing that to myself again. I would just find something else to do before I did that to myself again.

Royal Man likes this.
  5. OneBlueSummer

OneBlueSummer FatCat Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Awesome to hear!
    Just add this right after u give a price that way they don't have time to think .. "I have an opening next Wednesday at 9:30 or an opening on Thursday at 12:30, which would work best for you Nichole?"
    If she throws the spouse rebutle then just say " we fill up quickly and I think you deciding to book now was a good idea, just let me know after u talk to your husband if u would rather do it Thursday instead of wednesday"

6. Royal Man

Royal Man Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

If you devalue your service. So will the client and you will probally lose them anyway. Instead drop services along with the price. Or better yet put a condition on the price drop. For instance," If I drop the rate to xyz can we set an appointment for this Friday?

Torrey W and freemind like this.
  7. Royal Man

Other suggestions. Pump up your service value. Whip out your brag book filled with before and after examples of your work and ( Drum roll ) pages of clients bragging about your outstanding work and what a great guy you are.

This will make a difference.

8. OneBlueSummer

OneBlueSummer FatCat Member

Name:
    Charlie
    As for feeling bad about selling ... just realize u are saving them from getting ripped off from some hack who would probably lie about putting sealer on. So u sell to save them from bad work and u save them from getting ripped off.
    Only u and 1 other know the truth of your heart. Your no con so don't ever feel bad for the best job and service anyone's ever had.

Torrey W and freemind like this.
  9. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

Your first and last comment completely contradict each other...

10. Royal Man

Its about controlling the situation/ conversation and not just dropping prices willy nilly.

11. Royal Man

12. shane deubell

shane deubell FatCat Entrepreneur

2 Simple things you should do.

1. Learn what gross profit you want to be at. Once you know facts and stop bidding by making stuff up it becomes easy then.
    Its nerve racking and confusing because you are pulling $hit out of thin air, like most...

2. Make your presentation and then shut up, let people think. The second you start running your yap about discounts for this or that you give them a door to weasel out of. Silence creates the most pressure to make a decision, smile and doodle cartoons on your notebook or something. Don't add anything, its a rookie mistake.

Royal Man and 212.0 like this.
  13. 212.0

212.0 Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Name:
    Ty Cranmore
  14. 212.0

212.0 Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Name:
    Ty Cranmore
    And it's not much coaching really, just a lil nudge to get out the door and make things happen.

15. Royal Man

There is an old salesman adage to this situation about the pause after the close. " the first one to talk loses."

fencerider likes this.
  16. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Good job mike!

I've noticed how much momentum you've gained just by getting out and kicking butt on foot!

17. Six Figure Solo Cleaner

Six Figure Solo Cleaner Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Now that's ^^^ Pimp Game chilRen

18. Six Figure Solo Cleaner

Six Figure Solo Cleaner Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Fact is, when negotiating (or pulling a chic) the one who's willing to walk away first with no regrets will ALWAYS have the upper hand.

I walk multi-hunnit dollar jobs other cleaners would dive on concrete for.

So what.

Clients are like busses.... there's ALWAYS another one coming.

6':cool:

p.s.
    However... since I've added a second rig, I'm a little (just a lil) more flexible (yet not whorish) since I gotta keep both vans rolling

Johnny Bravo and Torrey W like this.
  19. ratherbewalking

ratherbewalking Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

This is what I keep telling myself lately. For every "No" that I get, it pushes me that much harder to generate more leads and push my marketing that much harder so I have another chance to get the "Yes" that we all love to hear.

20. Royal Man

Learn to cherish the No. Salesman love to hear the word NO because it invites you to discover the reason for the no that when solved or simply acknowledged moves the conversation closer to the YES!

NO nearly means tell me more and lets find a mutual beneficial agreement.

No doesn't mean move on in most cases.

fencerider likes this.