html or plain text email

Discussion in 'Email Marketing' started by Brian__G, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Brian__G

Brian__G Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

What do you use? The cool thing about html is that you can add code to track whether they open it. Is it worth the concern that the email may not look good in some browsers? Do you give people a choice? Do you default to html, or do you default to text. Is it even worth trying to format an email with pictures and so forth or is it better to just attach a pdf?

2. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

If I wanted to include pics in an email I would use HTML and not attach it...many people won't see it...OR won't want to open an attachment..

3. ratherbewalking

ratherbewalking Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I think this is a tricky one. My email client (Gmail) asks me if i would like to display images in every email. If the email is interesting enough, I will display the images to get the whole feel of the email. If the email is lame, I wont waste my time displaying the images. What types of images were you trying to include?

I do agree with $1k though, attachments will never get looked at as people are scared they are downloading some virus or malicious software.

4. Brian__G

Brian__G Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I've been thinking about it. I think I'm going to go with a simple html email. A simple graphic letterhead at the top makes it look more professional, but if someone reader can't display html it's only a few lines of code at the top that will look funny and the remainder will be plain text.

I'm still trying to work out what exactly I'm going to do with my email list. In theory, one could make a nice looking newsletter formatted with newspaper columns with pictures and so forth. But if someone doesn't have an email that were it will display properly, it's going to look like crap. So if I wanted to do a fancy newsletter, it may be better to send it as a pdf. I don't know. Maybe it's best to just keep it simple.