How many jobs can come directly from a van wrap or lettering produce?

Discussion in 'Print Ads' started by Torrey W, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    There's literally a few companies in ever city with that "most thorough cleaning or it's free" slogan.

Actually that second pic is killer!
    Too bad it's on the back of a pick up truck.. Would be more powerful on a van side.

2. Bob Foster

Bob Foster FatCat Player

Name:
    Bob Foster
    Here's how you fix that sign. :)

3. Jay

Jay FatCat Member

This is a interesting case study because as most of you know, both Ross and I redid everything and we both went completely different directions. His truck has headlines and mine is strictly color/ service.

My results over 4 months are that I can only account for 1 job from actual driving around town and someone writing down my info. I have received 4 additional jobs while working in a neighborhood and the neighbors called me. This has to take into account that I use street signs and coupon signs as well.

I do work in neighborhoods where my truck is often up a huge driveway so that doesn't help.

Bob Foster likes this.
  4. shane deubell

shane deubell FatCat Entrepreneur

NO!!!!!
    Its a terrible case study actually, too hard to track.

Yours is great btw.

5. mahlonzehr

mahlonzehr FatCat Player

Name:
    Mahlon Zehr
    I don't know if I've seen your rig, Jay... Would love to see a pic!

6. Jay

Jay FatCat Member

Shouldnt be to hard if someone felt like spending money. I have used survey monkey in the past for projects and it worked well. Put one van with headline based marketing and another based on color. Ask customers who they would call based solely on that. Maybe fatcat wants to fork out the money, Lord knows our trade magazine wont.

I honestly couldn't even begin to guess which would produce better results.

7. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    What's funny is a couple if my favorite vans are jays and Ross's.

Jay has a great color scheme and great unique classy name, just love the old money vibe it has.

Ross's however has little little branding at all, doesn't have colors but grabs attention like a slap in the face.

To be honest I have opinions on both, but you know what opinions are like... Yup buttholes.

8. Jay

Jay FatCat Member

I just love feeding on this kind of info. What will work, what doesn't ect. I know Ross wont believe me but the image he created, still blows me away. Never seen anything like it, best idea I have ever seen as far as vehicle marketing. Transportable and testable headlines on a van is genius.

I dont know who said it but its been said we should be marketing/ management companies who just happen to clean carpets. I think about that a lot.

9. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Bill Yeadin has said something like that to me many times.

I believe he also said "Stanley Steemer is a marketing company who just happens to clean carpets"

Makes a lot of sense.

10. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I have a friend that makes booku bucks in sales for a lighting company his dad started but sold it for 5.5 million a few years ago, leaving his son there to work for a random guy that bought it.

I asked if he was upset he now has a lot less control as his dad no longer owns the business. He said no because sales always controls the company. The new guy knows nothing about sales and hi
    And a few other salesman can make him rich or bankrupt instantly, so he who sells controls the biz.

Interesting way to look at it.

11. Royal Man

Royal Man Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Can someone post a picture of the 2 vans being mentioned for a comparison. It's too much inside baseball and I gather that most don't know what you are talking about.

Perhaps if members had to use complete profiles. This would help a lot and prevent doing detective work and searches randomly to find their company.

12. Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger FatCat Noob

Name:
    Mark Saiger
    I cn tell you my vans do help my entire marketing and branding. I just got done presenting a power point presentation to many about branding and importantly colors and schemes and especially how to make things stand out. Bill Yeadon also helped at this presentation and he can tell you....I had a lot to say....LOL! Bill is an awesome marketing guru as we all know and if you ever get a chance to hear him in person, do not miss him! It is because of him I really became interested in marketing and branding for my company.

Big blocks of color are important as well as choosing certain colors together. Too much to go into detail in one post or a few. Type in the meaning of color on the internet and start there. If you have questions about lay outs and concepts, I would be happy to try and help.

Mark Saiger
    www.saigers.com

13. Bob Foster

Bob Foster FatCat Player

Name:
    Bob Foster
    I swear I put a post up and its gone.

Please take my remarks as constructive.

The samples you played with with PS are all poor. The graphics fight with the text for attention serving neither. And the text doesn't contrast.

Having pictures on graphics of people, babies, carpets pets etc is so 5 years ago. That these picture graphics will elicit emotional buying responses from Mrs Baby Breeder is bunk and hardly memorable. Keep it simple, tasteful and bold. Mark is right about the colors.

Honestly, spend you time making money the best way you can - cleaning. Then using that money higher a REAL professional marketing signage expert to take your advertising business objectives and let them transform them into a sign that executes these objectives.

lvcc.jpg

Mark Saiger likes this.
  14. mahlonzehr

mahlonzehr FatCat Player

Name:
    Mahlon Zehr
    You posted this on another thread, maybe that's why you're confused about it disappearing.

I hear all the points you're making. I am coming to the conclusion that the type of wrap or lettering you are describing is what will best fit my company ethos. However without creating and seeing the alternatives and discussing them on here I'm not sure I would have understood the concepts and dynamics if what's going on quite as well as I do now.

I'm not convinced, though, that a graphic picture or strong headline approach doesn't work. I think it's more a question of what style best reflects the image and philosophy of your company's personality.

So I don't feeling it was at all time wasted. It's called education. Besides, I didn't turn down any work to draw up those brainstorming sessions you saw on the other thread.

I have been talking to another designer in town and, with my more clearly identified objectives, got her working on some proofs for me. I'd love to have Graphic D-Signs to design one for me but they're in the neighborhood of $2500-$3,000 just for the design.

15. Bob Foster

Bob Foster FatCat Player

Name:
    Bob Foster
    Mahlon. Thanks, I figured that out after I posted on the other thread and was confused about the two. I checked wth Graphoc D-Signs too and heard the same numbers - JUST FOR the design and not the wrap.

That guy grew up i a family of billboard sign painters and he did it too when he was very young. It is somewhat old school but bulls eye on the messaging standpoint.

He is a celebrity among his peers in the graphic arts and sign community in North America and written up on in many of their trade forums. He has the magic combination of marketing, visualization and imagination and considered to be the best at vehicle wraps in North America.

You can direct any true sign wrap professional to his website and they will likely know of him and at the least sets a high standard for your designer to meet.

This is the company I used for design. They will soon be designing something for my hydramaster truck.

Go the extra mile on your design - push to get it to really pop the way they can make it. Good luck and enjoy the experience. We all want to see what it turns out like.

Here is my truck that was designed by these folks. www.thesignpad.com

LCF Fall  2013 PS.jpg wheelalt.jpg LCF Fall2013  DS.jpg

previous trucks

DS Low mid compressed.jpg

This was my first truck and it was wrapped 9 years ago.

b1222.jpg

16. Jeff

Jeff FatCat Player

Do you keep a Salmon/Steelhead fishing rod behind the seat Bob? B.C. is a fishing paradise.

17. Bob Foster

Bob Foster FatCat Player

Name:
    Bob Foster
    I occasionally hunt fish with a speargun but I am a very avid diver and underwater photographer.

Johnny Bravo likes this.
  18. Martin Sanchez

Martin Sanchez Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

@Johnny Bravo came to my place cuz he is helping with a water damage job. He parked his ugly looking billboard right in front of my house and
    later that day he got a call. It was one of my neighbors who stated she saw his truck and decided to call him.

soem people will tell you and to the others all you got to do is ask. If you do, you can track real numbers that come out from your vehicle.

19. Martin Sanchez

Martin Sanchez Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

where you got your shirts I'm looking for that color for my wife and her helper

20. Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas FatCat Player

I just saw this. Sorry Martin. I only had one shirt like that, it was a golf shirt from Costco that I never even got embroidered.

Great shirt though and I think it was only $12.00 or so.