Handling Scaling on Black Tiles bathrooms

Discussion in 'Tile, Stone, & Grout Care' started by Daniel Provorse, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Daniel Provorse

Daniel Provorse FatCat Player

Name:
    Daniel
    I have a client who called about getting her shower tiles cleaned. She said they are covered in this grey/white stuff that she can't get off. I told her it sounds like hard water scaling and that its quite common but more noticeable on the black.

What would any of you suggest for removing scaling on black shower tiles? Any specific cleaner? or maybe just a certain PH range of cleaner... I really don't have a clue.

2. Decker01

Decker01 Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Ceramic or Stone?

Likely dealing with hard water and soap scum deposits.

If it is ceramic, an acidic tile cleaner will remove quite a bit of it, maybe even all of it. Some scrubbing may be needed, just do not scratch the tile. Use a white pad first, increasing to a green pad if needed. A razor scraper sometimes helps too, but again, don't scratch that tile. (put some gloves on before soaking your hands in acidic tile cleaner!)

BTW, Lime-a-way type products, in my experience, aren't strong enough. You'll want something like this http://www.jondon.com/stonetech-restore-acidic-cleaner.html

If it is stone, you REALLY don't want to put an acid on it. I would use StoneScrub in that case. Check out @Stone Pro 's stuff.

fencerider likes this.
  3. Decker01

Decker01 Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

And you MUST sell sealer as well. Dupont sealers protect against mold and mildew, and are an easy upsell in this case.

4. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

CLR

5. freemind

freemind Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

You serious?

6. Kipp

yes

7. Daniel Provorse

Name:
    Daniel
    I took a look at it and took some pictures. Its slate on the walls and the floor is textured ceramic 1" squares.

I really want to avoid acids because of the metals in the shower but I'll do what I have to...

It's no doubt, hard water scaling. I was thinking a small rotary brush with a good cleaner in a spray bottle to work from spot to spot. I'm supposed to go back and test a few areas but I'm still not sure what type of cleaner to use. I'll pick up some CLR but want to have a good alternative.

Any cautions or suggestions to go with your CLR suggestion Kip?

I'm not sure if the sealant is going to still be good after that type of work. I told the lady I could reseal it for her but we will have to see how it looks after the cleaning before proceeding.

20140219_103915.jpg 20140219_103919.jpg 20140219_103944.jpg 20140219_104221.jpg

20140219_104406.jpg

20140219_104357.jpg

8. Kipp

When you said black tile I assumed ceramic...that looks like slate, stone scrub would be the best product for that situiation ALTHOUGH I have actually used CLR on nasty stone jobs like this (yes really) and then resealed with stone gloss. I wouldn't recommend it though, every situation is different so just stick with a safe product like stone scrub...

9. Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas FatCat Player

Razor blade the shower pan first (if you can, if the shower pan is a black slate and is textured then that's probably not going to work too well), vacuum, then stone scrub with white pad.

Decent chance that only some is going to come off of the slate. The shower pan "should" get back pretty close to perfect, but I always tell people 75-90% improvement is realistic.

Slate in my opinion is a terrible choice for shower walls. So many clefts and is so porous, it's really a maintenance nightmare from day one.

For acid check out Homerun. It is safe around metal fixtures (don't ask me how) and is awesome stuff

fencerider likes this.
  10. Daniel Provorse

Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks much.

11. Lloyd Christmas

12. Kingjoelking

Kingjoelking FatCat Entrepreneur

Slate is not usually acid sensitive. So check in a corner and then rock out if it doesnt etch. for a shower as bad as that I would Charge in the $500 range. Do not seal with a top coat. What will look really nice is a an enhancing sealer. My personal preference is Aqua Mix Enrich n Seal. Crazy expensive but works extremely well. Runs about $40 for 20oz at Home Depot. I got freeking ripped by Monterey Tile they charged me $66 bucks for that same stupid 20oz bottle. But a little goes a looooooong way. On that shower you will only use about 1/2 of the bottle. Wear gloves poor it on a rag and just rub it on the stone. Then after about 30 seconds wipe the remainder off with a different rag.

P.S. when you are scrubbing and high pressure washing it you will have some layers of slate sheath off. It is not anything to worry about. It is normal. Dont freak out.

13. Martin Sanchez

Martin Sanchez Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

^^ X2 ^^ quick clean by stone pro will do the job easily. seal with color enhancer from stonepro the walls and ceramic with whatever the heck you want. dunno about prices in your area but 5 to 6 would be fine if it was me. sometimes it takes a while to clean

14. Daniel Provorse

Name:
    Daniel
    Will you provide a link to where you buy your Homerun from or do you get it through a local supplier?

15. Daniel Provorse

Name:
    Daniel
    Can you post a link to where you are purchasing Quick Clean by Stone Pro or are you getting locally? Not just a random link to some site selling the stuff please.

16. freemind

17. freemind

You can order directly from Stone Pro.

Daniel Provorse likes this.
  18. Martin Sanchez

Martin Sanchez Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I buy it locally. here in Cali almost everyplace has the products but you can order from @Jeff Kondra he has a stone pro lil store and can hook you up with anything you need.

19. Scott Warrington

Scott Warrington FatCat Entrepreneur

Agree on using an acid cleaner. I suggest Spinergy Resuscitate. It is safer on metals than many acids, but no acid product is 100% safe on metal. So I suggest covering the metal.

I like a color enhancing seal on slate. Our product is Spinergy Revive, but there are several good ones.

20. Lloyd Christmas