Give me some feedback with what all of you want to hear about Restoration wise?

Discussion in 'Water Damage/Fire Restoration' started by aspenedelen, Dec 14, 2013.

1. aspenedelen

aspenedelen FatCat Player

Feedback please!

2. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

That yo that you unders7 at do I absolutely need to know before I go bid/complete my first restoration job?

What equipment should I own vs what equipment should I just rent? If any...

What are the different levels of clean up?

What should be signals that a job is over my head?

3. 212.0

212.0 Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Name:
    Ty Cranmore
    What's the best Lead source?

4. aspenedelen

Best lead source in most markets is by far word of mouth referrals. The more people you know and market to the better off you will be in this industry.

5. Kipp

Go to every home depot and lowes and stick your sticker on every water heater...8-10 years from now it should really start paying off!

6. 212.0

Name:
    Ty Cranmore
    Lol, funny you should say that, I put flyers in the vacuum section at Home Depot when I first started. Manager of the store called within a couple hours and really let me have it. Probably won't go that route

7. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    What I would like to hear is how would start out as a guy with zero solid connections in this line if work?

For instance, you own a cc business, it's going well and you have tools and the money to buy or rent anything you could need to do a job. But you don't have any real "ins" with anyone in that field and your current client base doesn't know your able to do it. What would you do?

8. aspenedelen

Park your restoration vehicle in Walmart's parking lot (permission in advance) where everybody who drives in will see it.

9. aspenedelen

W
    Send out $50 gift cards to all your clients as a "emergency response credit" if they were to ever have a loss. Most people will have some sort of loss every eight years.

Torrey W likes this.
  10. aspenedelen

Somehow I wouldn't put that past you Ty

11. 212.0

Name:
    Ty Cranmore
    Hey, ya gotta get creative. That one failed, and she wasn't happy

12. Carpet-Rx of Louisville

Carpet-Rx of Louisville Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Do you have some sort of checklist of things that certain jobs will need. And what about insurance adjusters? A lot of times they have been trained in water restoration and they have certain guidelines you must abide by...suchas a certain size dehu in a defined space and x amount of air movers for a certain amount of space...all that. I wanna know all that.
    Also, I want to learn how to go to moisture readings. Do you have to take a class for this?

Right now I have 1 commercial dehu and three air movers. Well one just passed away, so two air movers. All i do is extract water, pull pad, mold/mildew treat, dry affected area, and replace pad and put carpet back and clean it. I feel like I could make thosands instead of hundereds if I had all the fancy paperwork and moisture reading things.

Sorry for the long list, Im just eager to learn all about this! Thanks!

13. aspenedelen

Most of the adjusters up to today are idiots with very little knowledge of industry. With Sandy this is changing and they are getting much smarter with how they, and what they pay on invoices.

14. Lance Golden

Lance Golden FatCat Player

Anthony, I have seriously "lost touch" with the emergency side of it.... Is pulling pad in most cases still acceptable?
    Or is it as I have heard "top down" drying? I am thinking of getting back into maybe just the emergency side...

15. Carpet-Rx of Louisville

Carpet-Rx of Louisville Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Oh...ok.

16. aspenedelen

I had this exact question posed to a adjuster on Friday. In this day and age it boggles my mind why In a Cat 1 loss you would ever pull pad. The only time I would pull pad is if there are underlying issues: pet urine issues, delamination, heavily cracked floor.

Most restoration contractors who pull pad are afraid of structural drying as they do not understand the thermal dynamics of why wet materials dry.

17. aspenedelen

I only answered one small portion to your questions but I'll give you a more in - depth here shortly.

18. aspenedelen

I don't have a checklist per se but over time I have compiled a list in my head (after seeing the loss) in regards to what equipment is needed.

If a adjuster tells me how to do my job I very politely tell them that I am a professional and to please let me do my he/she insists with using their setup I'll follow what they ask but can almost guarantee that loss will take longer to dry as they want to put as little equipment in as possible.

Moisture readings are critical in tjis line of work. How else are you supposed to know you have reached your dry standard? I like the Dell host bD-10 as it is simple to use and accurate.

First off, get yourself certified in WRT and ASD. You say you are treating affected area for mold/mildew but are you certified in AMRT? There is a huge liability with mold and if you do not have the professional designation of AMRT and someone in the household gets sick randomly guess who gets blamed as you are the PROFESSIONAL on the job.

19. Kipp

What about my questions? They weren't good enough? sheesh

20. aspenedelen

Kip, I never responded to you in regards to buying or renting equipment. It only makes sense to buy when the payoff is in the foreseeable future. I never buy equipment that I cannot my ROI in less than a year.

Realistically speaking a air mover costs $150 and rental is $25 per day it is paid off within seven days. A dehu costs $2k and at $100 per day the return is 20 days. A air scrubber costs $1400 but if you have a $140 per day rental your payoff is only 14 days. I am a big fan of not giving someone my hard earned cash if I can do the same thing using the right equipment.

If you have the cash outlay it is always more beneficial to buy vs rent.

Kipp likes this.