Freezing weather….What's the best procedure

Discussion in 'Carpet Cleaning' started by ASAP, Dec 26, 2013.

1. ASAP

ASAP FatCat Member

Ok Guys I own a box van now and it doesn't fit in garage do i'm parking outside now….I've found that I'm starting to have leaked hear and there….

I've read about putting a small heater in the box at night….BUT i'm very nervous about leaving a heater running in my ONLY unit….

ANY tips? is there a special covers made for weather?

Do i flush out all hoses and machine?

do I put anti-freeze in machine?

Any help would be great!

2. ASAP

ASAP FatCat Member

new look!

photo-4.JPG

photo-6.JPG

photo-3.JPG

photo-7.JPG

Torrey W and Kipp like this.
  3. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen FatCat Entrepreneur

That is a nice looking van! And yes, I would be VERY concerned about freezing up that Prochem unit!

We used electric heater in our units. (till we bought a commercial facility with 12' doors that changed my life!) Just place them carefully so they don't get anything too hot.

I would use two heating units on two different circuits given the large volume of your box. I would also install a low temperature alarm that will call and wake you if your unit is in danger of freezing.

And you might also want to fur out those existing horizontal boards a bit and install 1 1/2" rigid insulation and then cover that with 1/2" CDX plywood. Do that on the sides and ceilings and your unit will be much better protected against freezing.

Steve

PS Ah yes, the joys of winter. We just ran a QuickTIP HERE with 7 Winter Survival Tools!

4. 212.0

212.0 Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Name:
    Ty Cranmore
    Very nice setup! Try parking under the palm trees, works for me

Tom Ingram and ASAP like this.
  5. Mike McNally

Mike McNally FatCat Player

Oil filled radiator is what I use, works great.

ASAP likes this.
  6. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I would either drop one or two oil filled radiator ones in it as I felt safer with those. Or one of those nice EdenPure style infared. They blow out very mild heated air and never gets hot to the touch. Yet it can heat like half my house.
    I bet it would keep that van warm and safe no problem but they are like 150-250 bucks.

7. Mojo Rising

Mojo Rising FatCat Member

I've been putting a heater in my van for years and still haven't burned it down. That's just what you need to do in cold climates when parked outside. You can put a furniture blanket over your TM and bring your other tools that have water running through them closer to the heater. Nothing worse than your wand having freeze damage or your steam line.

I just use a Walmart heater that is about 1500 watts and I never had an issue and you shouldn't either.

8. bryants mobile detail

bryants mobile detail FatCat Member

Name:
    bryant williams
    nice truck id suggest a removable insulated cover for your prochem unit that can be removed for daily use and a heater inside box van at night with a temp controlled thermostat that shuts heater off at 70 and kicks back on at 65 degrees ..
    can be made out of thick 2 inch styrofoam panels and some long straight rods or wood dowels for easy assymbly and disa cymbly