Forming Alliances with your competitors.

Discussion in 'Networking & Joint Ventures' started by Johnny Bravo, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Name:
    John Sheridan
    I have to say that one of my best and most beneficial moves I've made in this business is to form alliances with my "competitors" rather then cut each other's throat.

Today I had no jobs, and went out to help @Martin Sanchez on a couple jobs he had. I still took calls and booked jobs for this weekend for myself. Learned a few things as I always do, and had a fun time.

Once when I was sitting around and talking with Martin, he got a call from a customer. When Martin told them the price for his services, they told him they'd think about it. We continued our conversation, my phone rang, and it was Martin's custy. My CL Hack but* booked the job and off Martin and I went to do the job together.

Ironically Martin and I are really each other's biggest competitors. We work the same jobs in the same areas. Yet we are the best of friends and both do well providing for out families.

Today we were at the local carpet supply store. Ran into a couple of other carpet cleaners. Exchanged business cards, informed them of this forum, shook hands, and went out separate ways. Would much rather do this then mad dog each other.

So just as @TheEyeball and @Torrey W , @Jeff Kondra and Todd, @Kip Stoltzfus AKA $1KaDay and @212.0, and many others have done. Martin and I will continue to be Co operating Competitors.

2. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    you know what they say.. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer! lol :p

No but seriously, Im friends with a handful of cleaners in my area. Heck i kust got a job tonight from a competitor i really dont know well yet. we have only talked on the phone.

We are way more powerful together than apart.

3. Martin Sanchez

Martin Sanchez Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I'm happy for @Johnny Bravo picking up those jobs. After all fi they did not want my services, I would much rather see Johnny cleaning those carpets than any other competitor who mad dogs me when we see each other at the cleaning supply store. In fact, When I get calls and I sense the people not liking my price, I tell them I'm too busy but there is another very good guy in town and I send them to Johnny.

4. 0331grunt

0331grunt FatCat Player

Where I live, there are several cleaners and I know most of them. Got a call from one that I don't know well and asked if I could rent some equipment for a water job. Got to talking to him and gave him a ride to the distributor to pick up his van and took him to lunch. He asked if I did vct work and he said he would GLADLY recommend me to customers that ask him for that service. It is a win-win for us both. Other guys in town, I don't know if I would piss on them if they were on fire... and the feeling is mutual, I'm sure.

Aye Aye Captain Clean likes this.
  5. Scott Warrington

Scott Warrington FatCat Entrepreneur

Through many years of cleaning I have learned that you will always have competition. If one goes away, another will soon spring up. I would much rather have good competitors that play fair, do good work and give the industry a good name rather than a competitor who gives the industry a black eye.

It just makes sens to help the good guys out and to try and educate the hacks when they will listen. Keep moving the competition in a positive direction.

6. TimMagaw

TimMagaw Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I have 4 local competitors that we help each other out. You just have to be careful with who you let into your circle, but it has been very beneficial for all of us.

Johnny Bravo likes this.
  7. PCS_FL

PCS_FL FatCat Member

I couldn't agree more with you guys. I would love to be big enough to offer more services like duct cleaning, fire restoration and mold remediation but I feel at this time that would spread me too thin. I find it best to focus on cleaning till I can get more trucks and add new services to keep the guys busy. Anyways, just because I don't offer those services doesn't mean my customers don't need or desire them. I've made friends with advantaclean to take care of the ductwork and some mold and another guy that does mold and fire. They throw me the flooring repair work when the restoration jobs are finished and any other cleaning/repair/flooring replacement services they don't offer. Its win win, I can trust that they will go into my custys home and render service without taking my cleaning account.

Johnny Bravo likes this.
  8. Kyra Deprez

Kyra Deprez FatCat Noob

Name:
    Kyra Deprez
    It is always important to network, regardless of the industry. There are certain types of cleanings that we just do not do, so we of course always want to be able to refer a client. That is true also if we are fully booked. I always above all else want to be able to help the client that is on the other end of the phone whether we do the job or not!

Johnny Bravo likes this.
  9. Jeffrey Tobian

Jeffrey Tobian FatCat Member

Name:
    Jeffrey B. Tobian
    I work with other carpet cleaners all the time. I have a lot of carpet cleaners that call me on the phone and ask me questions and some times their truckmount breaks down and they call me and I drive over and let them hook on to my truckmount so they can finish their job. If I have a flood job that is just to big for me to handle I call some to help me out . That way I still can do some work rather than turning the job away. in the 21 years that I have had my own carpet cleaning business I have made some friends and that is always a good thing. Sometimes if the job is just two big and my two trucks running two wands off each truck I still can not get the job done in 8 hours . I will bring in another carpet cleaner to make sure my customer is happy

10. Mike Raimer

Mike Raimer FatCat Member

Name:
    Mike Raimer
    I have a competitor I talk for on the phone for hours. I am small potatoes to their size, but they offer help and refer jobs consistently. I send them all restoration work as I am not set up for that yet. Works well and has turned into a good business relationship and an even better friendship. Whats even better is that something that did cause strife was dealt with and created an even stronger bond of trust. I would give them the keys to everything if they needed it and believe they would do the same if I needed help.