Do you acquire 100% of your customers emails? I do.

Discussion in 'Email Marketing' started by Torrey W, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Just was thinking about this the other day.
    I saw a comment by someone who said they get many people that won't give them their email address because they don't want to be advertised to.

I use to get about 30-50% of my customers to give me there's when I asked for it. But now I literally get 100% of them. Figured I'd share how.

VBR. Valid Business Reason.
    This term was told to me by Steve T at SFS. So I just thought about that and came up with two so simple and un-breakable ways to obtain thier address.

1. At the end of the phone call booking, i just say "what email can we send you your confirmation to?"

2. At the end of the job I again ask (even if I already have the first one) "what email do you want the invoice sent to?"

I ask twice for two reasons.
    A. They may find it comforting that I am basically pretending I didn't record it from the first call.
    B. Many times I'll get a different one, maybe a spouse or just non-work related email, and therefore a second point of contact.

Daniel Provorse and Bill Yeadon like this.
  2. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    What other slick ways do you acquire the email?

3. Kipp

Kipp Syndicated Entrepreneur

Well since you stole those from me I guess that pretty much covers what I would do to...

4. Jeremy JMO

Jeremy JMO FatCat Member

I get all my customers email's, I email the invoices and never have anyone question it.

Daniel Provorse and Torrey W like this.
  5. Daniel Provorse

Daniel Provorse FatCat Player

Name:
    Daniel
    I have them write in the email next to their signature when they sign my waiver/price sheet. It looks like this

"Client's Signature ________________ Email for receipt ______________"

The know what its for, they write it themselves and I have had zero question/complaints on it.

Its a great idea to collect it over the phone and at the end of a job as you explained in the intro but here is the problem with that.

I find asking a whole lot of questions gets irritating and annoying. It also makes me look retarded when they say "didn't I give it to you on the phone?" I know because I used to ask for it over the phone when they called. Then I actually forgot they gave it to me and asked for it out of habbit. The biggest problem is I FORGET because I have so much going on already. I like to keep it simple, less error, but still error. lol

6. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen FatCat Entrepreneur

Actually Torrey, I find an even better trick than "confirmation" is to say right after they book the job,

"Mrs. Jones, most people want to know how to get their home ready for their big day. Now I have a carpet cleaning checklist here that I can send over right now. Do you have an email address I can send it to?"

I don't know why but people just love a "check list" which has a more immediate appeal. I will include a "confirmation" in the check list email along with (very important) a list of links back to the extra services that they can include during the cleaning.

Steve Toburen
    www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Many of our SFS grads also include a link to the tech's profile page on your website that will do the job. this lets the home owner get to know them before the job and reassures the client on the whole personal safety issue which is huge.

Daniel Provorse likes this.
  7. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I use to have the customer do the same thing, but I had at least 1/4 not put in the email because what they were signing was the invoice.

So I moved to paperless and just said I needed one for the invoice.

I'm guessing then, whatever your having them sign stays with you?

Interesting to hear different variations. We can take from this stuff.

8. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Totally agree Steve.

I do have a short and very small checklist of sorts and I address the services we offer. However it's not as thorough as I would like yet. Still have to finish the website. And we are also doing the "meet the tech" page. I think that's just a killer idea!

9. Daniel Provorse

Name:
    Daniel
    Yes, I keep the waiver/price sheet. Its mostly to cover my ass in case they want to get crazy. I actually send my receipts through quickbooks.

10. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    This may be what I'm looking for then.
    See I dropped my waiver when I went paperless, but when I have the tech on his own, I'm nervous about not having things more protected.
    They can't control the situation like a owner can.

Then I can still do paperless billing through Service Monster or whoever while having a sign off and price sheet.

Daniel Provorse likes this.
  11. Daniel Provorse

Name:
    Daniel
    As owner/operators we have a VERY different mindset than most techs or employees. I am very sure you know more than me but they are not as careful, not as meticulous, as well as many other things. Safety and covering all of our tails is a huge deal.

GitRdun

12. Torrey W

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I have found this out to be more true than I would have guessed.

My tech will call me on how to do something that I just have to face palm and take a breath so that I don't say anything. Then calmly explain how to diagnose that he probably didn't apply the Ebrake on the van to engage the full rpm.. (Pto units require the Ebrake to be on)

13. Stephen Meyer

Stephen Meyer FatCat Member

I use steves approach. I send a "getting ready for us" pdf wich people love. its also extreemly functional because I hate it when I get to a job and people havent prepared. I dont care if its industry standard for me to vacuum, its on the list! they do it

14. Kingjoelking

Kingjoelking FatCat Entrepreneur

about 75% of them.

15. Steven Lawrence

Steven Lawrence FatCat Member

always ask at the end of the job for email address so as too send invoice, had a customer ask me if we use them to send marketing material, she was shocked when i said we dont do email marketing anymore!...what she didnt realise is, i was more interested in her mobile no..