Advice needed on first carpet cleaning equipment

Discussion in 'Carpet Cleaning' started by Jason G, May 27, 2016.

1. Jason G

Jason G FatCat Noob

Hi guys,
    I'm Jason. I'm brand new to the cleaning industry.
    I'll be purchasing cleaning equipments for my cleaning company soon and I need some advices.

I've done some research on youtube and come across rotovac.

I have a few questions:
    1: Is the $2995 a good starter package? Does it include what I need for an office and residential deep carpet cleaning?

2: I saw a lot of companies hookup the big extractor onto their vans. My question is, am I able to bring the extractor to the client's place, hook up to their power and water supply instead of hook it up onto a van?

3: I realised that the rotovac might be too big to clean the carpet on stairs. What do you guys use for stairs?

Thank you everybody!
    Jason

2. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

3. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    I don't have any clue what's in the starter package so I have no idea if it's a good deal.

Either get a truckmount or a real portable, not that CFX thing Rotovac sells. Get a 360i if it's in your budget. If not, don't worry about it. Use a regular ol' wand or a stair tool on stairs. Or a furniture tool. And make sure you actually know what you're doing before you go out and take money from customers.

4. freemind

freemind Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

If this is the package from rotovac I am thinking of, there are better ways to get a "package" to start cleaning. The ranger or whatever they call their carry around extractor doesn't have the best "suck" from all I have heard in the past. The rotary is good, but that's where it ends.

I bought my portable through excellent supply. I bought a TruckPort portable with a 1000 PSI pump. I can do tile or carpet with mine. Auto fill, auto pump out, and a chem meter for rinse agents.

Keep looking, IMO.

5. Jeffrey Tobian

Jeffrey Tobian FatCat Member

Name:
    Jeffrey B. Tobian
    Maybe start off and get a used truckmount, most of the used truckmounts have an upholstery tool, stair tool and a wand and a lot of other stuff you will need . I would not get that rotovac wand. I think for $10,000 a bought my boxtruck, It had a electric hose reel, two other reels, water tank, RX20, 6 jet ti wand and a prochem 405 truckmount in it, it also had airmover racks and a chemical rack. Go to your local carpet cleaning supply co. and see what used stuff they have or look on line . I added some stuff to my truckcarpet cleaning truck.jpg

fencerider likes this.
  6. Robert Atlas

Robert Atlas Entrepreneur

Name:
    Robert Atlas
    I would learn from boards like this and Facebook groups. I agree if you can you can by a used van and truck mount set up. I just sold a truck mount set up for 17k. So there are deals out there. You could also come to Phoenix for a few days and we can show you the ropes for a weekend and help you make some decisions. All the best to you.

Jeffrey Tobian likes this.
  7. freemind

Jeffrey makes a good point about the truck mount. Many good used deals are out there.

For me, the biggest coc* block was using a portable in homes. A restaurant or commercial client is less likely to care. I don't think high rise customers will care about the portable either. 1-3 story homes, may get the impression you are some kind of hack if you use a portable.

I do windows now, and only offer small commercial carpets.

I kill it with windows in my area, and don't worry about the fight for the lowest prices on carpets anymore.

8. Jeffrey Tobian

Jeffrey Tobian FatCat Member

Name:
    Jeffrey B. Tobian
    @freemind do you clean windows with a water fed pole with pure water?

9. freemind

I do now.

I bought a Reach-It/Wash-It combo this year.
    I was all traditional before.

I also run an Unger indoor kit most of the time, for interiors.

10. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    The CFX is an ok tool but i wouldnt want to run my biz off it.

I would do like ross said and buy a real portable.

Id buy a machine like at Mytee.com or something. I do love the rotovac 360i rotory tool as it cleans much better than a wand.

Stairs you just need a standard stair tool which is small and cheap.

11. Brian__G

Brian__G Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

One of the problems with a CFX is that it doesn't have a high pressure solution pump. So they have you hook up to a water faucet. But tap water only has a fraction of the psi of a normal professional carpet cleaning machine. The high pressure blasts the dirt off the carpet fibers so that the vacuum can suck it up. Weaker psi is weaker cleaning power. Everyone seems to take water pressure for granted. So when they talk about machines, they talk about heat and vacuum, but psi is important too.

12. Scott Warrington

Scott Warrington FatCat Entrepreneur

I always say that one should not select the tool to use until he has defined the job he wants to do. Carpet cleaning is not one big generic service. There sre different approaches and different expectations for high volume residential work such as cleaning apartments that turn-over. Another situation to get high end residential custoemrs. Still another to do upper floors in condo's or high rise office buildings. LArge comemrcial accoutns rerquire equipment with higher productivity rates, maybe low moisture methods.

Decide what you want your business to look like in a year or two. Then select the equipment suited for that type of work. Doing otherwise would be like a carpenter asking, "Is this a good saw?" What do you want to cut? and how much cutting? must be answered before the answer makes sense.

I also suggest finding a local disitributor, hopefully an Interlink location, but at least a place you can see many different models of portables, truckmounts, new and used, along with other equipment to try out, give it a test drive before oyu buy.

Jeffrey Tobian and freemind like this.
  13. Ed Valentine

Ed Valentine FatCat Member

Jason,

In order to help answer your questions and offer you the right advice......not kidding here either.......I would have to ask you a dozen and a half questions before giving you "the right" conclusion.

Having stated that fact, putting a dollar figure on your investment could also be a huge mistake and only lead you down a slippery slope toward failure.

Anyways, I hope you seriously read and digest what I have said.

Best,
    Ed Valentine
    Crossamericancorporation

14. 10BucksARoom

10BucksARoom FatCat Noob

Jason,do your due diligence and do your fair share of research before you purchase anything. When I started,I was seriously considering the Rotovac and a CFX...I know I didnt want a Truck Mount do to the high cost,anywhere from 10K-30K if not more,huge investment. They do have their purpose,more powerful than a Porty,but much more expensive. A high powered Porty should suit you just fine when starting out. You want to make sure it has a minimal of 300PSI,higher the better,if its at least 800PSI you can also offer tile and grout cleaning. Helps to have Heat built in ,if not theres other ways to get heat . A basic Wand,yes old school but very effective,hand wand for stairs. You'll add on and expand as you get into the biz. My Porty of choice is the Jaguar 8.4 by Cross American. Contact Ed ,he's a very knowledgeable and personable guy and produces a very well made ETM (Electric Truck Mount)...If I wasnt satisfied with his machine ,I wouldnt be giving him a plug ! As for laying down Pre-Spray,skip the pump up,gets tired fast,get yourself a HydroForce ! Regardless of what you purchase,Best of luck to you !

15. SteamKleenToronto

SteamKleenToronto FatCat Noob

Name:
    Jay Gharakholonare
    2016-05-31-18.05.302.jpg
    This is what i like to use. Ninja Warrior 500 psi

16. 10BucksARoom

10BucksARoom FatCat Noob

Pretty machine,as long as it does what its supposed to do.. Heres mine,not so pretty,but,very powerful !Cross American Jaguar 8.4.jpg