A great simple introduction to indoor mold

Discussion in 'Water Damage/Fire Restoration' started by aspenedelen, Feb 3, 2014.

1. aspenedelen

aspenedelen FatCat Player

I found this video on one of my LinkedIn subscribed threads. This video is a great introduction to IAQ when mold is present for the client.

2. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I want to learn more about IAQ as i think its a up and coming sector that more and more are becoming aware of.

3. aspenedelen

I got into IAQ four years ago and haven't looked back. As long as you have professionally competence and are certified I say go for it.

4. Spotman123

Spotman123 FatCat Member

Anthony, you mentioned this is indoor mold related. Is there such a thing as outdoor mold and if so what is the difference between the two and any difference in attacking it? Wayne

5. aspenedelen

You breathe molds every minute of the day whether you are showering, driving in your car, on a airplane or walking your dog. It is the species of mold that one needs to be concerned with.

On that note, most naturally occurring molds are non hazardous. It is when you get the species of mold that are harmful in a confined space and on top of that you get people in that confined space that are susceptible to the mycotoxins that the molds produce.

There are a number of different ways if "attacking" molds but I like the HEPA sandwich which is: vacuuming, wiping or sanding then vacuuming again. You can also use a hydrogen peroxide mixture that is sold. First though you want to HEPA vacuum all exposed areas to then spray on affected nonmovable material, usually wait 24 hours then HEPA vac again.

Obviously, if you find any mold on drywall it should be demo'd then the substrate dried then HEPA vac'd then you can use the hydrogen peroxide spray with a final HEPA vac.

Finally, before Clearance testing I like to seal all exposed material, let dry then take a pre sample myself to see how I will fare.

Kipp likes this.
  6. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

Stacky-Botrus! Just sounds crazy!

7. aspenedelen

Penicillium-Aspergillius and Cladosporium. Just wacky