6 Ways to Prevent Sales Cancellations

Discussion in 'Sales Mastery' started by ShuBee, Jul 29, 2014.

1. ShuBee

ShuBee FatCat Member

Name:
    Anna Rigsby
    Hey Guys,

Long time no see. Here is an article from our Buzz newsletter:

A sales cancellation has a lot in common with the breakup of a relationship. They are both painful, and they both have causes.

The first step in stopping a sales cancellation is to know the cause of cancellations.

The Cause of Cancellations

1. The Close Wasn’t Made: You may get the client to say "yes" to your offer, but did she really "own it" when you left the home. Another words, did you really build value or did you use a gimmick to close the job. Gimmicks fade as soon as you leave the home.

2. Buyer’s Remorse: When the gimmick fades, buyer’s remorse sets in. Don’t rely on gimmicks to close the sale, learn how to actually build value.

3. Too Much Time Between Close to Install: Too much time between the sale and your install puts you at risk for cancellation.]

4. Closed 1-Leg in a 2-Leg Situation: Getting a “yes” from a person that can say “yes” is still a “no.” You need to know when the sale takes both homeowners (2-Legs).

Now, let's cover six things that you can do that will help you prevent sales cancellations.

1. Perform an Exit Interview: An exit interview is when you ask the homeowner for to provide their reasons for purchasing from you. You don’t want to lead the homeowners’ answers, instead you want them to give you their honest answer. Once you have their answer, you can write it down on your paperwork. This uses the psychological persuasion principle of consistency to prevent cancellation.

2. Book Installs with the Office: Booking the install with the office makes it “real.” It also adds one extra layer of accountability into the sale. With each layer of accountability, it becomes more difficult for the client to cancel the sale. You’ll want to call the office in front of the clients, and give the details of the job to the install manager. Then, give the phone to one of the clients so that s/he can talk to the install manager. The install manager simply going to review what you have said in the conversation.

3. Complete the Paperwork: This should go without saying, but just in case, complete the paperwork in its absolute entirety. Be sure that the homeowner sees the paperwork completed in its entirety, and gets a copy. Finishing the paperwork at the office says to the homeowner, “There’s still a chance to cancel. He hasn’t turned in all the paper work.”

4. Prominently Post Paperwork: When you’ve completed the paperwork, prominently posted in a public area. The old adage “out of sight, out of mind” is very true. You want to be at the top of the awareness of your client. The paperwork is a great way to remind them that you’re coming back soon to complete the install. Many great technicians and sales people in the field have told me that they would put the paperwork on the homeowner’s refrigerator door. This is especially important, if you are not the person that’s returning to do the install.

5. Start the Job: Starting job is the most significant thing you can do to prevent sales cancellations. You may be asking, “How can I start the job when were overbooked, or waiting for material?” There are many ways to do this, and they’re all ethical. One of the greatest examples that I have ever seen is what Quality Heating and Cooling does in Abilene, Texas.

The Temporary Install: In the case where your company is booked for weeks at a time, starting the job immediately may not be possible. So, consider how you can provide service before the job is complete. Quality Heating and Cooling installs temporary condensers until the complete system is installed.

The Preparatory Work: Let’s imagine that you sewer line to install, and same-day installation is impossible. One thing that you can do, is to prep out the job space. You can do this by marking off the dig site and getting ready for installation.

6. Remove the Word “Confirmation” from Your Vocabulary: The word “confirmation” is like a request for your homeowner to cancel. It is a friendly and open invitation by your business to the homeowner to cancel the sale at the last moment. Remove that word completely from the vocabulary of your plumbers, client service reps, dispatchers, HVAC technicians, air-conditioning salespeople, and anyone at your company. Instead, call to “remind” your clients of the install. Last note, keep your reminder calls brief. Talking too much leads to sales cancellations.

- See more at: http://www.shubee.com/buzz/6-ways-to-prevent-sales-cancellations/#sthash.0q8FoUOz.dpuf

2. Lars

Lars FatCat Member

Yeah I hate during down jobs all week, and then somebody who has been sitting on our schedule decides to cancel last minute, and I miss out out multiple jobs and left with nothing....

3. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Now that's a good subject for advice!

Thank you!

4. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I hate havin the occasional customer call and cancel when I know I could have saved it by some better systems in place.

5. freemind

freemind Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Great article. Thanks Eric.