100 Year Old Sales Campaign Completely Screwing Men To This Day!

Discussion in 'Sales Mastery' started by TheEyeball, Sep 18, 2013.

1. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Friend of the Ladies

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Hate to break it to you, but diamonds are not rare. As a matter of fact, emeralds, sapphires, and rubies are rarer but cost less. When a glut of diamonds was found in South Africa in the mid-1800s diamond prices should have plummeted. But some savvy marketing on behalf of the evil De Beers diamond cartel took care of that. In the 1920s--nearly 100 years ago--they began running ads to make diamonds appear rarer than they actually are, driving prices up. Basically, diamonds are expensive because De Beers said so.

Once they made prices skyrocket and it looked like they could keep things that way, they rolled out some of the most ingenious marketing ever devised. Do you have any idea where the rule that an engagement ring should cost 3 months salary comes from? Is the 3 month rule just another example of classic societal etiquette, like shaking hands or holding the door open for a lady? Heck no! De Beers MADE THAT UP in an ad campaign that ran in the late 40s! It was so effective that to this day, it is still a major part of American culture. So if you spent a nice chunk of change on a common piece of hardened carbon that's actually worth about a hundred bucks (just made that up, but you get the point) to woo your special lady, you can thank De Beers and their brainwashing marketing techniques for completely screwing you.

Now, here's the beauty of this. You see how effective marketing can be. And guess what. You can have marketing like this! What's that, you say? "Yeah, but I don't have a Madison Avenue ad agency helping me. This is too hard. Marketing sucks. This is dumb. I'm just gonna do SEO and keep my crappy website." Well snap out of it you fat lard! You CAN have marketing and ads that make it ok to raise prices because you say so. You CAN have marketing and ads that create a culture among your clients. It ain't easy, and it takes a lot of dedication, but it can be done. It doesn't just happen, though. You need to read, research, and practice. So come up with some stuff and post it here. We admins and our super-sharp members will critique it for you and give suggestions. This can be done guys! There are no marketing "secrets". All of it is based on research, hard work, and practice! Let's do this! Who's with me? USA! USA! USA!

2. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

Ross, 3 months salary? Man, I need a 'de beer' now!

I shouldn't have listened to Michael Scott!!!

3. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    Good thing I always thought those idiots were full of crap and spent my money on my house and bought my wife a cheaper ring.

I love nice things, but I could never understand these guys that spend a cars worth of money for something that does nothing!

Scott Warrington likes this.
  4. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

In all seriousness guys, Ross is really a gifted writer. I have him helping me with one of my biggest clients right now (IT client).

He has taken his writing skills and applied a vast amount of marketing knowledge to it in the last 18 months. He's a beast now. Take him up on his offer and make a thread, post your marketing piece for a free expert critique.

Don't pass up the chance for free 'Ross Sauce'!

5. TimMagaw

TimMagaw Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Thank god my wife does not like Diamonds. :D

6. Bill Yeadon

Bill Yeadon FatCat Entrepreneur

Yes as John Belushi stated Let's Do It.

Joseph Rogers likes this.
  7. katycarpetcleaning

katycarpetcleaning FatCat Entrepreneur

The whole key is to be unemployed when time for ring shopping....3x0=0

8. Rick Steele

Rick Steele FatCat Noob

I am working on this right now...

First I am trying to figure out my USP's problem is I am not sure what I have to offer that is so unique. I plan to offer a 30 day guarantee so that would be one I guess. I am a owner operator, I will make sure my customers are very happy with my work. What else does a brand new guy to the business have to offer? And how do I make it look like I'm a "diamond"? I've been racking my brain over this for 3 days and I'm still lost...

Rick Steele

9. Joseph Rogers

Joseph Rogers Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

I was down until the last two sentences...

10. Torrey W

Torrey W Syndicated Entrepreneur

Name:
    Torrey Whitaker
    I'd reach down deep inside yourself. That may be what makes you more unique in a city like Chicago.

They are over run WTH large companies and small nasty companies..

You being YOU may be your USP. That is if you are a decent guy and not a creep.... Lol

11. Joseph Rogers

Joseph Rogers Syndicated FatCat Entreprenuer

Torrey would be absolutely correct, here. In the beginning, at the very least, YOU are your USP. When they pay your price, they get YOU. A career cleaner, Owner/Operator, Quality Driven Madman.

THAT is your USP.

12. TheEyeball

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    Wow, this just adds so much to the conversation. :rolleyes:

Joseph Rogers likes this.
  13. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

14. fencerider

fencerider Entrepreneur

Diederik and Jeff like this.
  15. TheEyeball

Name:
    Ross Trittipo
    I'm reading a book called The Short History of Nearly Everything and it talks about that Russian diamond field.

16. Diederik

Diederik FatCat Member

Name:
    Diederik Visser
    Really great post. Got me back in advertising mode now thanx. Another cool fact is that gold is the same sort of situation I spoke to a guy that manages the construction of new gold mines and the fact is we do not need gold to be mined any more there is more than enough for everything we use it in. Just a another marketing thing everything is only as valuable as what people believe.

17. Diederik

Diederik FatCat Member

Name:
    Diederik Visser
    I am sure we all felt the same when we started. Being active on the forum is a great start as you learn more and continue to learn will help you out. How about just being honest it worked for me, use it to your advantage maybe in something like "New Gear and Eager to Please".

Just an idea eyeball will probably improve the line with his magic word skills.

Always tell your clients the truth they will love you for it.